coax and patch cord lengths

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KA0EIV, Nov 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have a repeater next door... repeater I use the most is 40 air miles from me! At VHF use the best coax you can afford! I watched eBay and someone put up some LDF4.5-50, a real oddball hard to find connectors. But I also found 2 connectors cheap so I got it for 50 cents a foot brand new and 2 brand new connectors for $25. My loss on that 60 foot run is around .5db!

If you have any cell towers going up near you stop and see if they have any cable end pieces they want to sell. Most goes to a scrapyard for pennies on the dollar, offer 50 cents a foot and go home with 1/2 inch or 7/8 inch heliax! Connectors for both are cheap on eBay and assembly instructions are packed with the connector in most cases or are available online. Newer connectors are solder free making them a piece of cake to put on.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Were we talking about 3' jumpers? I guess I wasn't specific about feedline lengths. Compare 100' of RG-58 and LMR-400 or better. it seems to me there IS a big difference. It seems we are trying to compare "apples to kumquats." (Or is it kumquats to apples?o_O) For SHORT jumpers, at low (<100 Watts) power, RG-58 MAY be usable, but its power handling capability is greatly decreased as frequency increases. Personally, I'd not use RG-58 0f any length, at 100 Watts on 70 cm. YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. WA9SVD

Actually, for repeater use, RG-58 is the WORST choice. You would need RG-214 (double shielded) coax at least. '58 is notoriously "lossy," and poorly shielded.

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Double shielded RG-58 is available (The Wireman carries it). Seems like a broken record "Don't buy cheap stuff". Don't buy no-name stuff from bargain bins at hamfests or from eBay. Buy from reliable ham and electronics vendors. If you buy cheap stuff for cheap prices, you have only yourself to blame.

WD0BCT likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

That's right. Cheap is CHEAP. that's why I use Benden and Amphenol almost exclusively, along with LMR-400, in various flavors.

6. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never heard of it, is it also silver plated? I use RG-223 for test cables and some repeater jumpers, it's like RG-58 but double shielded and silver plated.

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have some RG58 that has a regular shield, and a foil shield, similar to LMR400. It seems like pretty good stuff.

In addition to RG-223 there is also RG400 and RG-142 which are both double shielded and about the same size as RG-58.

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Clearly PL-259 get really "lossy" above 50MHz compared to others like Type-N.[/QUOTE]

They do fine for HF!

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome back to the game. I took 20 years off myself. It's like riding a bicycle....it comes back quickly!

10. WA9SVD

Certainly. I use those ( RG-400 and RG-142,) usually at higher frequencies. But not the most flexible, if you know what I mean. The best I have been able to find locally is Teflon insulated, plenum rated, RG-58 equivalent. YMMV, but surplus, the co$t of the plenum cable is just slightly more than quality RG-58.