ad: Alphaant-1

CNN News in Morse Code

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA1LL

AA1LL Ham Member QRZ Page

Baseball via Morse

Note to Jim, WB8SIW: I was never a part of this--only heard about it after the fact, but I think the cw baseball was just a retransmission of the radio or TV broadcast by the sending operator--nothing official. If you ever listened to Mel Allen narrating a Yankees game in the 60s you know things didn't change very fast so you could probably keep up with it even at only 20wpm!!:)

2. KG6UTS

KG6UTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Clatter and oil!!

"Waiting for the RTTY version, so I can crank up the noisy TeleTypes"
    w9gb

The Kleinschmidt is ready!!!!!!
    KG6UTS

3. NG9D

NG9D Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AA7NM

AA7NM Ham Member QRZ Page

Other players

This does work if you have an earlier version of Windows media player, or upgraded from one. There used to be a plugin available to add support. but I haven't seen it for awhile.

For Mac, Linux, or "other" users (maybe you just don't like Winamp) Try VLC, and copy the URL into "open network stream" under the Media menu..

You can get the free, open source VLC here:

http://www.videolan.org/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  5. K3ROJ/SK2024

K3ROJ/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone can Learn Morse Code

Just because the FCC people could not learn the Morse Code, they dropped the testing requirement since they surely would be intimidated if they had to check on someone sending improper messages on Ham radio. Anyone can easily learn to read Morse Code and copy in their head after a few hours practice. One of the hams at the Begali Key company in Italy makes copies of books in Morse Code at 50 WPM for blind people who otherwise may never enjoy a book because of the tedious method of using Braile. I have a 13 year old grandson who, after only one month can copy and send over 15 WPM and studying now for the Amateur Radio written exams. There was a study that proved people who learned and used the Morse code had higher IQ's than the average person and were also adept at playing musical instruments. dah dah di di dit di di di dah dah

6. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

FCC Special Counsel for Enforcement Riley Hollingsworth advised those attending the FCC forum at Dayton Hamvention 2006 to try kindness instead of confrontation when problems arise on the bands. Hollingsworth spoke May 20 to a nearly full house at Hara Arena, and for the most part he praised the behavior of the majority of Amateur Radio operators, especially those who volunteered in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina last year. But, he noted, radio amateurs still could be more courteous and less inclined to fly off the handle at some perceived on-the-air offense.

"You need to lighten up and not embarrass the Amateur Radio Service," Hollingsworth advised. "All of us make mistakes, especially with the new features you have on radios today. It's very easy to make a mistake, to be on the wrong frequency or be operating split and not know it--there's a hundred ways to make mistakes." Hollingsworth said experience has shown him that at least 75 percent of the interference complained about is absolutely unintentional.

In Hollingsworth's view, radio amateurs all too often are hypersensitive and rude. "We have a radar going to detect offenses at all times, we assume the worst in people, we rarely give people the benefit of the doubt," he said. He joked that if there were three amateurs in a town, there would be two Amateur Radio clubs.

"And there'll be two hamfests with 20 people each, because they wouldn't dare consolidate them," he added.

Hollingsworth acknowledged that "certain problem operators" remain, but the real troublemakers are rarely the newcomers to Amateur Radio. "If there's a downfall in Amateur Radio, it won't be caused by no-code Technicians or codeless anything else," he said. "It'll be caused by the microphone--no doubt in my mind." He advised his audience to ignore the troublesome operators and not give them the attention they crave by engaging them on the air.

"Now, think about it: If what you're hearing annoys you, or angers you or is stupid, use the 'stupid filter,' which is that big knob--that VFO that will take you somewhere else," he quipped. "It's the largest knob on the radio." He recommended moving to another frequency or even another band altogether.

Hollingsworth praised the Volunteer Examiner program as "outstanding" and noted there had not been a single complaint in the past year stemming from an examination session. He also said the Amateur Radio community should have a greater appreciation for what the ARRL is doing on its behalf.

"Most of you have no idea how much work is done in Newington for you and the Amateur Radio Service generally," he said. "I see it every day, but I think you have no idea of the hard work and dedication that comes out of that office up there, and I don't think we would be there if it weren't for [the League]."

"This country's communications infrastructure needs Amateur Radio," Hollingsworth emphasized, praising Amateur Radio's overall performance following Hurricane Katrina. "You have a tremendous amount to be proud of."

He also suggested that radio amateurs have an obligation to stay informed about what's going on in Amateur Radio that might affect their activities. "You have to not only keep up, you have to lead the way, because it's in your charter," he said, pointing to ยง97.1 of the Amateur Service rules.

Hollingsworth noted at the start of his talk that he could not address any questions dealing with the FCC's long-awaited decision on the Morse code requirement (Element 1), because he works in the Commission's Enforcement Bureau. "We don't meddle in rule making," he explained, but added that he didn't expect CW to decline if the FCC does drop the 5 WPM Morse requirement for all Amateur Radio license classes as it's proposed to do.

The FCC Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (WTB) handles Amateur Radio rule makings, Hollingsworth noted, including the "Morse code" proceeding, WT Docket 05-235, and the so-called "omnibus" proceeding, WT Docket 04-140. The WTB has said it will rule first on the omnibus proceeding, then tackle the Morse code proceeding, but it has not indicated when to expect either Report and Order.

No disrespect, but that's your and others who follow along misrepresentation of the facts for their own opinion and distorted viewpoint. No one is intimidated by CW morse code, another misrepresentation of facts for your own opinion and distorted viewpoint. Morse code is a mode of communications of which there are many since the invention of radio which to communicate. What it sounds like is that your an angry person with an agenda to misrepresent the amateur community and would like this correct by expressing my own opinion. Including what Riley said at Dayton Hamfest in 2006. Morse code is NOT the only way to communicate, that's your own opinion and viewpoint from which there are many who would agree or disagree respectfully. Please stop spreading rumors and misrepresentation of the actual facts we all know which is to enjoy the hobby and privileges which we should be grateful of the amateur spectrum that is ours. If we continue in this vicious cycle that by appearance like your going in the powers of the FCC we would not get out of the test lab. Just because someone for whatever reason, ether by not interested in cw and this includes the other modes to which communications is possible want to follow your way doesn't mean they are LESS or NOT an Amateur Radio Operator with a LICENSE with PRIVILEGES. It's nice and impressive that anyone can learn but what if your family member said to you...nah, i'm just interested in getting my license and figure out eventually giving enough time whether or not he/she is interested? This is a freedom of choice decision made by each and every person who has become and will become an amateur radio operator. And to infect the airwaves with this kinda of controlling behavior is why the airwaves are so cluttered with closed minded individual like you appear to be. People are interested in creating and enjoying conversations with each other and let them be for lord sakes. You should not be so bitter, rather be thankful you get to enjoy the hobby and allow those controlling features to the side and enjoy a conversation with a person. Simple. And if the person desires thru curiosity to learn morse code and only then it's a wonderful teaching tool with the cw tone continuous steady carrier that cuts thru all the static where the message gets delivered. I have no interested myself in learning code CW at this time but with local hams who have brought in those tiny cw 40 meter transceiver my curious nature is intrigued but i have had experience with a couple of people like yourself filled with venom to this day continuously disrespecting fellow hams because they happen to go thru the no-code technician examination. I understand fully that when the code requirement was necessity what kind of struggle the code was to some and others it was second language expressed in their telling me the history of their getting a license back in those days. Those so-called studies could also can prove anything but still this is a personal choice and there are plenty of people who haven't even upgraded even with the code dropped. Just because they didn't want to do what everyone else was doing and as the comment comes to mind, 'if everyone jumped off a tall bridge, you probably would also'. Morse code may have been proved those who learned and used the morse code had higher IQ's than the average person but by demonstrating the opposite yours appear greatly lowered by your example. And i personally do not, make free choice not to follow you off that bridge with the rest of those who go splat. Thank you but no thanks. Enjoy your hobby and please allow us to enjoy our own privileges in peace. 73

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  7. W8RF

W8RF Ham Member QRZ Page

It works fine with my media player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.