ad: NVCON-1

Club database and accounting

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by AA5AZ, Jul 24, 2017.

?

What do you use to keep up with membership

1. Notebook

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MS Access

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MS Excel

80.0%
  4. An Open Source Tool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA5AZ

AA5AZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First off, we're a brand new club.
    Neuse River Basin ARA in Goldsboro, NC.

When I say brand new, I mean, we had our first Organizational Committee meeting on Saturday the 22nd.

Two more Saturday OC meetings and then we'll be Chartered on the 12th at a dinner meeting. We currently have what is going to be a five person board and we have 12 members going in.

Before things get out of hand, I want to get a good dba and possibly even an accounting system going on here.

Can you please tell me what dba software you're using, other than Access and Excel, and if you're doing anything other than a checkbook registry on membership dues and so forth.

If you are using Access and Excel, and any other system, how are you using it? What information are you capturing?

Wilson Hines, AA5AZ
    Organizational Committee Chair

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Please clarify "dba" software. If database, what do you want to do with it.

For accounting, not radio club, Boy Scout Troop, similar sized organization, I used a hardbound ledger.

3. AA5AZ

Yes, dba is "database" or "database admin" or "database administration" in tech geek speak, depending on the context.

4. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, what do you want to do with it? What databases are you going to build?

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Excel (or the Open Office equivalent) is plenty good for a small club. Access (or the Open Office equivalent) is a bit excessive unless you need to keep a lot of records, or you are recording many events tied to the records.

Access does give you tools to create all sorts of reports, but is much more complex to use properly.

AA5AZ likes this.
  6. AA5AZ

Two things that does concern me is the growth of this club and the complexity that this club is going to develop. For example, we're not even started yet and we have 12 committed members. We don't launch until the 12th of August. Second, I'm a member of my Rotary club and we are actually bringing over some membership ideas, including attendance. So, if we're keeping up with attendance, we naturally will have complicated
    needs, I would think.

Your thoughts?

7. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I think you are over complicating it. Why record attendance. Is the purpose of the club to participate in common ham activities or to create a bureaucratic entity.

3X5 card; name, address, call, phone, email. Dues record on the back.

What is the goal of the club? Repeater, contest, experimentation, public service, something else, or a combination.

W1XWX likes this.
  8. AA5AZ

Hmm, this is not your father's type of club. It will be very different from anything to which you (at least I) have been exposed.
    We are creating a very modern club.

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Many clubs keep attendance and only let members in good standing vote. Why? Because more than once minority (not race) club members have called in non-active members to pay their dues and solicited new members to get an unpopular vote to go their way. This happened because the bylaws didn't specify you had to be active in the club to vote on things.

AA5AZ likes this.
  10. AA5AZ

Absolutely. Abso-lutely!
    Also, another contributing factor here is we want to build a club that has a membership of active participants. If people's life changes where they have extenuating circumstances, we are going to have a non-voting inactive status. There will be flexibility to it.