Club "Christmas" party vs "Holiday" party?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by AI7PM, Nov 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

First, I belong to more than one club, and this did not happen at my QRZ location.

Last week the club president sent out an email reminder of the upcoming Christmas party. In short order another member posted, "As I've mentioned before, calling it a Christmas party is not very inclusive."

He then went on a diatribe about inclusiveness mentioning that, from Nov. 1st to Jan. 15th 7 religions celebrate 29 holidays, then on to mention solstice, non-religious, etc.

I'm interested in hearing, 1. if anyone else has had similar situations at their clubs and how/if it affected the club, 2. how did your club members react, 3.do you agree with the guy and why, 4. do you think anywhere near like I do on this (Below)?

Personally, I think his diatribe was just another example of people having to crap on anything they don't necessarily follow, care for, or practice. Seems to me indicative of the now popular (SJW) Social Justice Warrior mentality of being offended at anything that doesn't recognize every other race, creed, color, religion, orientation, planetary system, RF mode of operation, or any other trait one choses.

His diatribe resulted in significant replies to the email thread. Some well thought out and presented. Some using absurdity to point out the absurdness, some humerous jabs, some "I'm done", at least one "Remove me from the list", and a few that were polite versions of STFU.

The club president relented and renamed it the "Holiday" party, and though I think an apology wasn't owed, he oppolgized for any offense taken.

Personally, I think we may lose some participation over this. The listserve already has. Ham clubs are (IMHO) supposed to be fun. They're supposed to be a place to learn the hobby, imporove one's abilities, make friends, maybe help out your community, and hopefully promote positive attitudes.

Thoughts?

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So show up wearing a kilt. Bring a steaming haggis and mashed turnips. Insist on playing bagpipe marches at high volume. Hand out bags of oatmeal. Call everybody "Laddie"!

W1TRY and AI7PM like this.
  3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a Christmas Dinner. There really is not any emphasis on Christmas. Anyone is welcome. That is my definition of inclusive. In my opinion, anyone offended is free to skip the event. I would skip the apology.

N3AB, AG5CK, AI7PM and 1 other person like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you on this one.

"Inclusive" is just another code word for the SJW jackholes. "Sustainable" is another.

The club president shouldn't have apologized nor changed the event's name. He buckled and submitted. Sad. Weak.

AG5CK, W1TRY, KB4QAA and 2 others like this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Having a problem calling it a Christmas party, could seeking professional help be the answer?

WN1MB and AI7PM like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

What's wrong with "Holiday Party"? Once you label it a "Christmas Party", you might as well call it a "Hanukkah Party", or "Festivus Party", no?

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LORD BLESS.jpg
    DL3HQL.jpg
    COEXIST.jpg
    radio_coffee_qrz.jpg
    Clean that Pup.gif

K6EIR likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m not of the Christian persuasion but am not, and never have been offended in the slightest by a “Christmas” party, nor do I feel disturbed by Christmas sales, or Christmas lights, or Christmas trees. Nobody cares what religion you have to attend the party, for crying out loud. If someone is offended by it, they always have the option of not going.

But a few seem to think that their personal decision to take offense at trivial things like this is the responsibility of the people around them, and want to make everyone else modify their behavior which is the height of arrogance IMO.

Part of ham radio is about fellowship across boundaries of all kinds - national, cultural, and religious. That means recognizing and having understanding, tolerance and curiosity about everyone's differences- NOT demanding that all of it be swept away in some bland homogenized way and pretending we are all the same.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    N3AB, K1SZO, W1TRY and 6 others like this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll reply to your question with two questions: you have a problem with the message "Peace on earth, goodwill to men"? Not inclusive enough for you?

N3AB likes this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Our club, Radio Club of Tacoma W7DK, holds an "Annual Holiday and Awards Banquet". All members are welcome with no regard to religion, or any other factor of their being other than be a member of our club, and there is no outward theme of any particular religion or invocation of any "Higher Power"

Our banquet is all about our great members and all they do, and to hand out well-deserved awards for a year's worth of accomplishments by the 20 or so "that do everything" but still respecting all the rest of our membership with a full-on potluck feast in a large rented hall.

Dave
    W7UUU
    Proudly President, Radio Club of Tacoma
    www.W7DK.org

WG7X likes this.