ad: MyersEng-1

CLRspeech speaker and FT-857D ?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N4MU, Nov 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking of adding a CLR Speech speaker unit to my (stationary in home) FT-857D. I have no really objectionable noise per se but am wondering whether the CLRspeech unit will add another level of "background" noise reduction. The DSP selections on the radio actually do a nice job but I am wondering if noise (low level background hiss) reduction at the AF level would help...or make things worse. Has anyone used the CLRspeech with the 857 and if so, how'd you like it...or should I ask Santa for something else and not waste $200 of his money? Thanks for experiences!

2. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

I like new toys as much as the next ‘consumer’ but .. .. ..
    Before spending money try (if you haven’t) turning the audio way up and backing the RF gain down until the audio level is back to normal. (Notice how quiet the qrn becomes)
    Also, noise canceling headphones are a whole new world if you just absolutely, positively with every fiber of your being, have to spend sanity’s money :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  3. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

DO: Thanks for comments. The "noise" I'm talking about most people would be more than happy to contend with. I just was (am) wondering what effect adding a CLRspkr to the 857 would achieve. My best guess is that it's a crap shoot. Anyway, I need a new (read better) speaker for my mini-living room setup. That's how the CLRspkr came into a possible scenario. I do use all those other "tricks" you commented on and in all honesty I should just be still but there's always the "what if" content out there. No, haven't bought anything yet but Black Friday will surely tip me over the edge. There's a $30 discount on the CLRspkr then...it's burning a hole in my wallet. Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving. Maybe I will be able to hear what you sound like someday. LOL.