"Cloud Warmer"?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KA6YGR, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA6YGR

KA6YGR Ham Member QRZ Page

Was reading "W5ALT Parallel Dipole Notes" and came across the term "Cloud Warmer". New one on me; could someone please give me a definition? Just the definition, please!!

Dennis KA6YGR in beautiful Anderson, CA

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

An antenna that produces most of its radiation straight "up." As such, it "warms the clouds."

Means it's good (on HF) mostly for local work, as the radiation angle is so high the reflection angle off the F-layer will be nearly straight down. This happens when horizontally polarized antennas, especially non-focused ones like dipoles and horizontal loops, are too close to the ground in terms of wavelength.

Ideally suited for working local nets and such.

3. KD8KCH

KD8KCH Ham Member QRZ Page

In a nut shell, NVIS (near vertical insidence skywave) antenna that is close to the ground.

4. 2E0OKC

2E0OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

hi all ,
    i have a
    [h=1]Comet H422 4 Band Rotary V Dipole antenna[/h]only 15ft from ground to the balun then the arms go up and out. does this still come under a cloud warmer in this config..

i have done well on this i think , but saying that i was using bpsk-31 on 20m with around 40 watts
    and month or so back made it into chile from the south side of the uk.but japan i can not seem to get

kind regards

5. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve when I was first licensed for HF I only had 160/80 meter privileges. I put up a 80 Meter loop fed with a 75 ohm matching stub and then RG8. The highest point of that loop was 28 feet, the lowest was around 10 and it varied in height between those two as it went around the property.

That antenna was a KILLER out to about 350 miles on 80. I mean it was wicked. I went to Dayton in 1996 and met a guy who lived just south of Dayton who I talked to on a regular basis on 3.768. He asked me what make of amp I ran. I had no amp, just 100 watts. He didn't believe me and if I had not had a friend with me who had been in my shack to convince him I had no amp he would have called me a liar.

He told me I was always 30/9 to him. And he wasn't the only guy who had the same signal from me. Like I said the antenna was a killer within that short distance. I did mange to WAS with it, and also worked some DX, VK's Europe.

It was a quiet antenna, fun to use. I should get enough wire and put another one up. I don't chase DX so that low loop would be great to have back up.

It truly was a "Cloud Warmer" ;)

6. K4SAV

K4SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Another useful term is "worm burner" - a low antenna with lots of ground loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.