CLOSED/ Private REPEATER ? OPEN repeater only ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by AG6JU, Apr 1, 2011.

?

CLOSED/Private REPEATERS ?

Poll closed Mar 26, 2012.
  1. All repeaters should be CLOSED and PRIVATE.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Only OPEN repeaters should be allowed

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. Closed / Private RPT OK, but must share Freqs, No exclusive coordination.

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. OK as it is. Status Quo

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  5. NO repeaters should be allowed, simplex only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

should closed / private repeaters should be allowed and coordinated exclusive frequencies ?

2. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not NEARLY as big a problem as it once was. Back in the days before Cell phones it was much more common to have closed repeaters with autopatch.

3. KJ6EZQ

KJ6EZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I dislike closed repeater systems. I don't understand why a person or group would want to have their repeater private. Wouldn't you rather enjoy talking to new and different hams all the time? Sure, repeaters can get busy, but with the amount we have here in southern California it is far too easy to find repeaters that never have anyone on them.

4. AG6JU

it sound like most of 440 MHz is going to be gone, so band will require restructure soon.

5. AB1OD

AB1OD Guest

Nah. IF 440 is taken away (and that seems pretty unlikely), then the only thing the coordination folks need to do is require that continuing 2m repeaters and relocating 440 repeaters demonstrate that their systems are actually used.

If all the dead repeaters are de-coordinated, I suspect you'll find that there's plenty of room in 2m in much of the country for the systems that are left.

6. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

The challenge in so many areas these days is to get someone to use a repeater. I suppose that in large cities it may be less of a challenge but some repeaters sit silently for so long one has to wonder if it is still active.

We have a closed 70 cm linked membership only system that operates in the region,though I haven't listened to their local repeater in a few years it used to have the most use of anything around here then again it covers a large geographic area including a few large cities.

7. N0PGR

N0PGR Ham Member QRZ Page

OPEN , but fewer of them more simplex .

8. AG6JU

here is Southern CA, I think there are more frequencies assign to repeaters than simplex. perhaps more of repeaters can move to 1.2GHz band, since most of the repeaters are located in mountain top, and so higher frequency are OK, while simplex 144 MHz work much better than 1.2 GHz

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  9. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with repeaters is people will build them but then a couple of obnoxious free loaders come along and decide it works great and just monopolize it!

fp

10. AG6JU

well, I suppose parts 97 need to change since 3/4 of HAM wanted open repeater only

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.