Cloning software for ICOM IC-T70A

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by WB7OZ, Jun 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB7OZ

WB7OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there Mac OS software that will communicate with an ICOM IC-T70A?
    I have been trying to use CHIRP but have been stopped by the "Failed to communicate with the radio: Unexpected response from radio" error. (I am currently running Yosemite)

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you don't have the correct drivers installed. What cable are you using between the computer and the rig?

3. WB7OZ

The cable is an ICOM USB OPC-478 with an FTDI chipset made by Valley Enterprises. Reviews indicate that it has a good record of working well. The FTDI driver was successfully installed.

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And does the device show up on the computer, not just in the System Information tool? For example, there are many USB devices that can be connected and will show up in the System Report, but aren't actually loaded; usually due to out-of-date drivers. The key is to make sure you have the latest FTDI driver (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm), not just the one that came with the cable: older drivers are unsigned, and unsigned drivers are not loaded by Yosemite by default.

Unplug the cable from the Mac. Install the latest driver. Reboot the computer. Open the terminal and type "cd /dev" (without the quotes), then "ls" (again without quotes). This lists all of the devices attached to the computer, many of which are default software "devices". Now, plug the cable in, wait a few seconds and then run the "ls" command again. The device name is usually something like cu.usbserial*** or tty.usbserial**** or some such thing. If you don't see it, then the device is not being loaded correctly.

Hope this helps.

5. WB7OZ

Thank you for the suggestion, but I checked the /dev directory early on in my attempt to connect to my radio. The
    cu.usbserial-******* file is present. At one point I loaded FTDI's D2xx driver and was able to communicate with the chip in the USB cable. Early on I disabled the Apple-provided FTDI VCP driver. The driver that currently is loaded on the computer is the driver provided by FTDI. The problem feels more like a software incompatibility problem than a failure to communicate over the cable.

6. KE0GNL

KE0GNL Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have this "failed to communicate" issue with my ic-t70. I've tried 2 of the same cables you mention from Valley. I put a #bug fix (#3739) on the CHIRP website a few days ago but haven't heard back.

I also believe it to be a software issue as my driver and COM port settings are correct, and like I say, I tried 2 cables.

7. KE0GNL

KE0GNL Ham Member QRZ Page

Update here... I returned my Valley Enterprises cables and got one from RT Systems. Works like a charm. Not sure what the issue was using the Valley cables, but I'm just happy I can program my ic-t70 in chirp now.

8. WB7OZ

I returned my Valley Enterprises cable and got an RT Systems cable. I was immediately able to communicate with my IC-T70 and download the template file from the radio. However, after entering data into the spreadsheet, saving the image file, and selecting the upload to radio function, the program stalls. The Cloning to radio dialog box appears, the progress bar goes to approximately 80%, and the program stops. The dialog at the bottom of the Chirp screen is "[0] Completed Getting memory 299 (idle)". The display on the radio reads "CL in" with the progress bar stopped at 5.

9. K4EES

K4EES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it's 3 years later and seems the problem is the same. I purchased a new cable and was able to download my settings from the radio to Chirp, but when I tried sent updates back to the radio, it failed and reset the radio to factory settings. This is repeatable. I can easily download my settings, but cannot post changes back to the radio.

10. K3DCW

Well, the IC-T70A doesn't appear on the list of radios supported by CHIRP, although I don't know how much it differs from the IC-T70 which is listed.

Have you provided feedback to the developers of CHIRP?