Clever way to use HC49/U in place of HC6/U?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by VE7JBX, Jun 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

The title about says it all - I'm looking for whether there's a clever way to use an HC49/U in place of an HC6/U crystal case.

The application (Splisbury SBX-11) has plug-in sockets for HC6/U, and a metal grounding cage which goes over the xtal packs with spring 'fingers' which reach down and ground each case.

"Easiest" would be if there exists some sort of xtal plug in adaptor, which the 49/U plugs into and then in turn into the 6/U socket. I don't know if such a thing exists, though?

I see one reference online but with no details, about opening an HC6/U case and swapping the HC49/U contents in. Sounds challenging, but maybe it's not?

Suggestions?

2. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have cut little piececs of PC board on a CNC mill and have soldered the crystal to it and then pin headers to plug into a breadboard

Perhaps something similar wouod work for you

3. AC9QC

AC9QC Ham Member QRZ Page

Depending on the crystal less challenging than you think I suspect. HC-6es that are soldered together wouldn't be bad to renovate this way I suspect. I've pulled one or two apart to look at and it's not horrible.

4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I did that years ago . . . just find a gash HC6/U crystal . . . use a big iron to take the can off . . . wire the HC49/U inside. (if you want it to be neat and permanent - otherwise just use it to make an adaptor)

Roger G3YRO

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Older HC6/U type crystals were soldered together. Unfortunately, the newer versions are welded and it takes a LOT of grinding or filing to get the top loose.

There are sockets available for the HC49/U type crystals and adapters can be made using the sockets and HC6/U "headers".

The wire lead smaller crystals can be directly soldered to HC6/U "headers" or the base of old HC6/U crystals that have had the original crystal removed. I do this with the "clock crystals" that I use with VHF converters.

Glen, K9STH

6. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the suggestions - I have plenty of HC-6/U xtals here, I'll have a look at opening one up and stuffing a 49/U inside for a first attempt.