Clegg Zeus & Interceptor on 6&2 meter AM

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, May 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Greetings
    I just acquired a nice pairing of two classic rigs made by Clegg Labs back in the 60's.
    The Zeus Transmitter and Interceptor Receiver. I am looking at seriously involving
    myself in the pursuit of VHF Low/High band AM work this year and hoping to get
    some others interested.
    I addition, I am going to build a simple 3 element Yagi and a Vertical and experiment
    from there on. It should be fun and with band openings, it can be pretty exciting even
    if it can be tedious from what I hear. There lots of rigs that can easily do AM on these
    two bands and even with low power, coast to coast contacts can be made when conditions allow.
    For now, I have to contend with re-stringing the dial cord on the Zeus which presents a
    hassle, and bring up the supply/modulator unit on the Variac. The receiver works fine and
    is ready for use.
    Anyone care to contribute to the conversation and share ideas?
    Thanks,
    Billy N6YW

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

They were the dream station in the 60's for AM on 6n2 but way out of my reach was still in HS for part of the time was happy to have a Viking 6n2 RF deck with an Eico 730 modulator which was an upgrade from the Heathkit Sixer and Twoer. Very nice set up good luck with it.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to work for Clegg after school and on Saturdays, although the Zeus/Interceptor were at the end of life then (late 1960s).

Ed Clegg was a neighbor in NJ and he liked to hire kids to do "wiring" and stuff. All the wiring was Teflon insulated hookup wire, with wax cord lacing, and boy was Ed a huge proponent of doing everything exactly right.

I "wired up" 22'ers, 66'ers, and lots of Clegg rigs and became so familiar with wax cord lacing harnesses I could do it in my sleep.

Ed gave me (literally) a Zeus and Interceptor-B as a gift, just 'cause he did like kids who were hams. I used them for a few years in the late 60s, but everything was going SSB and I had a Venus 6m SSB rig, which got me on that band.

I carried the Zeus power supply/modulator up and down hundreds of stairs, carrying them to field sites for VHF contests. Built strong bodies more ways than Wonder Bread.

There's not much AM action on 6 or 2 meters, but I wish there was. Clegg rigs had magnificent modulation. I had a college professor in engineering school (now SK), Walt, WA2GCM and he used the phonetics, "Great Clegg Modulation." Pretty accurate. The Zeus works great with a D-104 and when you talk, the neon bulb flashes.:) I still remember.

Great memories.

W6ELH, K5UJ and N6YW like this.
  4. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

WOW!
    What an awesome recollection!
    Thank you so very much. Even though activity is low on 6&2 AM, I hope to encourage others to make the effort to
    make a joyful carrier when possible. I hope to locate a Clegg Venus as well. It looks like a fun rig to run.
    I'll post pictures soon. I have been busy with Music and shop work today.
    My Clegg rigs are in fine shape and I am thrilled to have them and will have them air worthy soon.
    Billy

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive had a pair since the 90's and still use them when I have time or hear some AM activity on either band.

I use the regular weak signal station antennas, 8 el on a 35' boom for 6 and a pair of modified CC 4218XL's on 2M, I often work 5-10W stations using low loops or an 80M dipole over 100 miles at times.

I did modify the Zeus for less restrictive audio and use the clippers punch when the E Skip is in and I need it to get thru the QRM.

Carl

K3XR and N6YW like this.
  6. K9DVL

K9DVL Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K9DVL

K9DVL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Clegg Zeus. Do you remember what you did to make the audio lest least restrictive?
    Thanks
    K9DVL Dave

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I made those changes many decades ago and dont remember the details but it was mostly increasing size of the audio coupling caps to .02 - .05, and the input grid bias resistor and getting rid of several 47 pf if I remember. It made a big improvement with a D-104.

I can dig out the manual if you need more.

Carl

9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

When I had the Icom 7300 I made some contacts on 6 meters (ssb) using a 6 meter leg of the fan dipole.
    I never heard any AM but heard there is/was an AM net on 6.
    I figure you need a high antenna on 6 meters and that is a problem for me.

I hear beams are the way to go on 6, but a squarelow will work also.
    Seems like a good band for an sdr bandscope!