Clegg Laboratories - Trivia - There Were 2 Clegg 99'er Models

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA2CWA, Sep 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, you're right. It was an Apollo and not a Zeus. All Greek to me. Never could find the original tubes which were very soft, therefore the 4CX250 mod. It was hard to get the air through those chimneys correctly.

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Clegg's first Climaster was the 62T10 transmitter. Crystal controlled and operated on 6, 2, and 10 meters. The first run of Zeus transmitters had Climaster written on the Eddystone dial behind the glass. In subsequent Zeus manufacturing runs, the name Climaster was replaced by Clegg.

The 62T10 was introduced in 1956. For long-haul weak signal work, crystal control had to be used but didn't provide frequency agility. Unfortunately, there weren't any great minimum drift and stable VFO's on the market during the late 50's for 6 meter operating. So Clegg designed the Climaster 209 Crystiplexer which combines VFO and crystal performance as part of one set of circuitry which Clegg called his Crystodyne system. ( I'm sure he had a reason for calling it this but we'll probably never know). Design technologies was rapidly changing during this period and the Climaster 209 Crystiplexer never made it to market as far as I know.

Fortunately, by 1960 Clegg found other ways to stabilize VFO drift and maintain dial accuracy in his design strategy for his new VHF transmitter design. HOWEVER, the idea of the crystiplexer, I guess, never left him. When FM started to be in vogue, Clegg developed the FM-27B 2 meter transceiver which allowed you to dial in and set whatever frequency you wanted by just turning several front panel knobs.

[​IMG]

Several other manufacturers grabbed the "crystiplex" term during this time including KLM and several Japanese amateur related companies as part of their Ad descriptions.

Also note that "crystal plexing" (my phrase) was used roughly starting in 1963 for 23 channel CB transceivers. In those rigs, the Ad hype was "frequency synthesizer" but the overall concept was quite similar to what Clegg was trying to do for VHF transmitters.

WA1GXC likes this.
  3. WA2CWA

Well, I guess no one has ever seen the original Clegg 99'er since no one has commented on it.

SO, let's move on. Most of us that have been in VHF 6 and 2 meter activities over the years, know that the Clegg Zeus was the pinnacle AM/CW transmitter and it was expensive in 1960's dollars.
    Some of us know that the Zeus replaced the Climaster 62T10 but, there were actually two transmitters that Clegg proposed to follow the 62T10.
    One was called the Climaster Mercury at 200 watts AM.
    The other was called Climaster Zeus at 90 watts AM.
    Probably due to cost and design considerations, both were morphed into the Clegg Zeus at 185 watts AM that we all know today.
    The Ad below was pulled from The VHF Amateur magazine, October 1960 issue.

Climaster-1.jpg

WA1GXC likes this.
  4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not know they were superhets....I figured they were superregenerative. Pretty advanced for the time!

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I did that mod on an Apollo also.

The original 8236 tubes were made only by Tung-Sol and only for a few years, so several years later they were almost impossible to find. They were also about the only "sweep tubes" actually rated for RF operation, with such specifications right on the data sheet. Very rugged tubes.

The original fan wouldn't do anything for 4CX250Bs, you had to pressurize the underchassis and use a blower forcing air into the underchassis so it would draft through the tubes (and chimneys). Lots of sheet metal work!

WA1GXC likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Pete, I've never seen the "other" 99'er in your original post.

Even at Clegg there did not seem to be one laying around anywhere, at least not in the late 60s.

There were a few Thor-VIs around although they were out of production by then. I tried to get Ed to offer me a Thor-VI but it didn't happen so I never had one.

7. WA2CWA

When I got my Apollo, part of the 4CX250B was done but was never finished. I haven't looked at it in awhile but was considering returning it to sweep tubes. Not to the tubes originally used but something similar in the sweep tube line.

8. WA2CWA

I only visited the Mt. Tabor manufacturing location once in, I think, late 61 or early 62, and the manufacturing line was only generating the more common Clegg 99'er, the Zeus, and the Interceptor. They probably did, but I don't really know, several mockups or at least one for Ad pictures, and decided to go with the other design. When Ed sent me all his Clegg Labs paperwork he still had, there was no info concerning this other Clegg 99'er.

9. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

I used lots of tape to seal that thing and used a blower. Never did get the air pressure I needed - always ran hot. My silicone sealed single 4CX250B amp on 2 meters also ran hot. Probably needed louder blowers. Now I just use my ALS-1306 on 6 - way too easy, runs much cooler.

10. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

PETER,

YOU OLE CW RASCAL,

THANK YOU FOR SHARING.

YOU DO REALIZE THAT ALL OF THE REPLIES
    HAVE COME FROM OUR ZEDDER SENIOR CITIZENS.

https://www.manualman.com/

73 - K1LKP