Clegg Laboratories - Trivia - There Were 2 Clegg 99'er Models

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA2CWA, Sep 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Those who enjoy playing with vintage 6 meter rigs will recognize the familiar Clegg 99'er shown below:

Clegg99'er-final.jpg

BUT, did you know there was an earlier Clegg 99'er that looked somewhat different. I was told by Ed Clegg that "several" were made, but I've yet to see one for real. The ad picture below was taken from The VHF Amateur magazine, dated May 1961. Anyone ever see one of these?

Clegg99'er-early.jpg

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

later on they made the Vintage Clegg Venus 6m. SSB Transceiver

3. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously, there were a number of Clegg tagged products that came after the 99'er, since that was one of the early ones, but that's not the point of the thread. The point is "2" 99'er models.

Off the top of my head, here's some of the models that Clegg brought to market. Most came after the 99'er. The prefixed "FM" and "AB" models came to pass in the 70's after he moved from NJ to PA.
    Many of the 60's models that followed were actually under the Squires Sanders/Clegg Laboratories banner.

22'ER

22'ER FM

22'ER MK II

2MA

416 AC

66'ER

99'ER

AB-144

ALLBANDER

APOLLO

FM-21

FM-27B

FM-28

FM-76

FM-DX

INTERCEPTOR

INTERCEPTOR B

MARK 3

SS BOOSTER

THOR

VENUS

ZEUS

K0UO likes this.
  4. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for that push down memory lane.

In the ad copy, it referred to the 99er's "illustrious Climaster forbears."
    CFM CLIMASTER IMI

I had never heard of it, so I reluctantly went to the WorldWide InterTube, source of unlimited flawlessly-factual information.

Got an advertisement for the Clegg "Climaster": The advertising copy cites technological breakthroughs such as the "Crystiplexer"
    circuit and the "Crystodyne VFO". It sounds like someone on the third floor at Clegg, in Marketing, was gulping-down an awful lot of
    black coffee.

There were a bunch of ham-gear ideas that never made it to production, maybe just a few engineering prototypes, that sat, unsold, or
    went to the corner of the warehouse cellar.

I believe Collins had a few prototypes that went home with ham engineer-employees, never to go on store shelves. Hallicrafters had a
    couple 'good idea at the wrong time' duds. I think Dick Erhorn and his ETO company had one or two things in the bull-pen when the
    company was financially on the ropes.

Can anybody here list examples of sales or performance duds, maybe gear that sold under a hundred units or never made it to the assembly-line
    bench?

Advertising and sales-pitches are a product of the times. But I'm not quite sure what to make of the sound or derivation of "Climaster".
    It sounds like a Suzanne Somers TV-advertisement for butt-reduction exercise-aid, "Imported from the China coast!"

Nowadays, new hams want the longest nomenclature that will fit on a double-page ad in CQ. "FTdx5000MPQRST-PlatinumLimited.
    Means there's lots of buttons, none of which are connected to useful functions.

Catch you all in my passband-adjust.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    W3SLK likes this.
  5. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

post of the day

KP4SX likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've seen but never owned an older-gen Clegg Climaster, which was AM-CW and wasn't just VHF like the Zeus; it covered 10m also and looked very different from the "Climaster Zeus."

There was one in the shop when Ed moved operations for a couple years to E. Hanover. Saw it, remember it, never used it.

7. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

As an East Coaster, I had a Venus, Zeus, and whatever the 220 crystal radio was. The Venus was modified for a FET front end and I modified the Zeus for 4CX250 tubes. Loved that weighted tuning knob on the Venus.

8. WB2WIK

The flywheel driven Eddystone drive was used on the Zeus, Interceptor and Venus: All the same drive.

The Zeus only had one PA tube, normally a 4X150A but no modification required to plug in a 4CX250B or 4CX250R instead: Direct replacement, no modification required.

Reason it only ran 120W output power wasn't the tube, it was the low plate voltage (only about 900V) required because it was high-level (plate) modulated by the P-P 811As in the power supply cabinet and running higher B+ would exceed the max rating for the tube, whether it was a 150A or 250B (both had the same ratings). But it was highly efficient and got the job done, for sure.

I worked for Ed Clegg after school and sometimes Saturdays in my late teens, although by then the big boxes were actually out of production; I used to wire up 22'ers, 66'ers and other later rigs. But I did have a Venus, an Apollo, a Zeus and an Interceptor B at home...and the Zeus was a gift from Ed.

WA1GXC likes this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a 22er MK II a lot of fun HI

10. WB2WIK

I had one, also. It had a VFO and wonderful modulation, and more output power than the 22'er.

A real winner of an AM rig, but unfortunately introduced towards the end of the AM era, when most were switching to SSB.