cleaning roller inductor to nye viking mb v a

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W7LTF, Dec 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll use it sparingly on some circuitry like cleaning pots used in solid state gear where working impedances are relatively low. I've cleaned up way too many Deoxit messes on old tube gear where folks sprayed it all over and created leakage paths near tube sockets and high impedance tube circuitry causing all kinds of strange problems. I won't use the stuff at all near high voltage or high power circuitry and that includes things like band switches associated with a tube final stage or cleaning parts in an antenna tuner like roller inductors.

It's not terrible when used sparingly for some work, mostly scratchy pots in solid state gear but it can cause a lot of trouble if not applied well or when applied in the wrong places like switches that see HV or relatively high power.

2. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have use erasers on all kinds of contacts for more than 5 decades. works great.

NE4EB likes this.
  3. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use DeOxit to clean my HO train brass track. One quick wipe and it is like new. Should not leave any residue on the inductor as it does not on the brass track.

K8AI and WA6SW like this.
  4. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

well, I'm not a chemist and I imagine there are erasers made with different ingredients these days but I have seen a copper piece cleaned with an eraser that turned green in those spots, I also used an eraser once on circuit board traces and it was very hard to solder to afterwards even after cleaning with acetone so at least test your eraser first.
    never used de-oxit and corrosion-X is my preferred magic cure

5. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Where did you find Deoxit contains oxalic acid? I can't seem to find that tidbit of info.

6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Call them and ask...

Rege

7. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that how you found out?

The MSDS doesn't list too many details.

8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

To be honest I think I read it somewhere, other sources claim oleic acid, and a carrier that polymerizes (sp?) Into a sticky goo.

My experence with the stuff is its good to find if a sliding contact is bad, and then get that part on order to replace. I have had poor long term results using it.

YMMV :)

Rege

K8PG likes this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Spraying on a roller inductor is just asking for trouble; all that dissolved conductive mess is all over it. The spray is 5% product and 95% propellant that never completely evaporates.

Disc Brake spray cleaner works to get rid of the crud but dont use on anything that will be chemically attacked, dissolved, softened, etc.

Carl

10. WA6SW

WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page

Who said spray on?