ad: Winterfest-1

cleaning roller inductor to nye viking mb v a

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W7LTF, Dec 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W7LTF

W7LTF Ham Member QRZ Page

With out removing the inductor coil,is there a way to clean this and the roller wheel? i have just enough corosion at certain points that tuning is next to impossible.Its time to clean this up.If i have to remove it then so be it.But if somebody here knows a zen like trick to cleaning it without removal I'd greatly apreciate the advice! Thanks,73s.w7ltf

2. WA6SW

WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page

I use 99% Isopropyl alcohol and a very light wiping of Deoxit.

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd second the high concentration alcohol but personally wouldn't use Deoxit on any high power or high voltage electronics including a roller inductor coil, the alcohol cleaning is enough.

4. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've not done any cleaning in my HF-AUTO yet, but Palstar sells "grease" and supplies roller inductor cleaning instructions for $3.45 - the grease is free, you're paying for shipping & handling. Don't remember for sure, but I think they suggest cleaning on an annual basis.

http://www.palstar.com/en/grease/

5. W7LTF

W7LTF Ham Member QRZ Page

6. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Q-tips or similar cleaning swabs and high concentration alcohol. It takes a while but even internal contactor roller inductors can be cleaned that way without having to take them apart. Be sure to clean not just the edge wound inductor but also the conductive shaft that holds the roller as that tends to get oxidized as well.

Q-tips can work but they can also leave little strands of cotton on the surfaces you clean that should be picked out with tweezers or similar. A cleaner approach is to use foam cleaning swabs like these that will also fit down between the inductor turns and allow you to get at the bottom edge of the inductor: https://inkjetparts.com/products/50...MImv_zhpmp5gIVhMJkCh2Cawi-EAQYASABEgK4-fD_BwE

K8AI, W7LTF and KA0HCP like this.
  7. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Rege

N8ZL and AC8UN like this.
  8. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

NO!!!!!!
    don't do this!
    it will leave an acidic film on everything
    keep the erasers away

N1DQQ and K8AI like this.
  9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

You are quite wrong.

What does leave a "acidic film" is the sammy hammy practice of squirting "deoxit" on everything.

The active ingredient in deoxit is oxalic acid.

Rege

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

6D:

3V and I disagree on a lot of things. However, I definitely do agree with him on this! If an eraser deposited acidic film on paper when pencil, etc., writing is removed, the paper would eventually be destroyed in the area that was erased. This just does not happen.

I am one of those persons who doesn't like DeOxit. There is a bottle, or 2, somewhere around my workbench. However, I just don't use that substance and I do work on a lot of "boat anchor" equipment for others.

Glen, K9STH