Cleaning a Hustler 4BTV

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KJ6ZOL, Oct 10, 2018 at 11:50 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cleaning and applying an antioxidant where the sections mate is about as far as I would bother to go. That is about the only thing that might be helpful to the actual performance of your antenna in the long run.

Cleaning and polishing the rest of it would just cause tired hands and arms :p

WR2E likes this.
  2. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing I have noticed about various HF verticals is that they all tend to collect a certain amount of water over time in the bottom where the feedline connects. For example, on a Hustler, the screw where the center conductor connects is sometimes found to be corroded, or occasionally seized such that it cannot be easily removed. Similar for Cushcraft and Hy Gain verticals with SO-239 connectors. I have found standing water in the base sections causing high SWR on all bands.

Two things that I do to limit the problem. First, after I get each band tuned where I want it, I tape up the tubing joints with good 3M tape to limit water intrusion. Secondly, I drill a very small hole in the bottom of the base section to let any water seep out.

3. KK4WMX

KK4WMX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am currently using my dad's old 5-BTV that spent a lot of years down at the coast. After bringing it out of a 15 year retirement in my shop, Scotch Brite & OX-Gard was used to clean up the connecting surfaces, then applied a clean thin layer of OX-Gard during reassembly. A couple of traps had corrosion on the connection between tube & winding that required repair (cleaning + a screw). After that, a bottom up retuning based on the DX Engineering docs & it was good to go...

4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used Ospho to clean my antenna. Diluted, as per the manufacturer's specs, scrubbed with aggressive 3M pads. Looked newer than new.

Ed

5. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the idea of checking the screw connectors for corrosion. As I noted, there was rust on the corona hats, and the antenna was used in the SF Bay Area where obviously maritime climate considerations would exist. Also, I think I should put up a few more radials-I only have two for 20 meters.

6. N8CMQ

N8CMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I have two questions, first, how is it mounted, and second, how many radials per band?

7. HAMHOCK75

HAMHOCK75 QRZ Member

I bought my 5BTV from a ham in San Jose in non-working condition. He said some of the traps were bad. One trap was good but the other two had small cracks in the black plastic cover at the top. That let water in. The water must have been rich in minerals because it drained down to where the hose clamp at the base connects the trap to the tube below both physically and electrically. A white layer of calcium was found there under the trap cover that created an open circuit. The cover of the trap is actually one side of the trap capacitor. Newtronics can supply a drawing of how to reassemble the trap so that it is resonant at the right frequency if you take the cover off and don't recall its position.

Then the 80M resonator fell off. The stud that mounts the resonator at the top is steel and rusted through. I replaced it with a stainless stud made from a bolt from Orchard Supply. Unfortunately, I could not fix the resonator which fell on its base and knocked out the female part at the base which is staked on prior to the loading coil being attached. I have a full set of Hustler resonators for mobile use so I just put my RM80 on; the only difference is that the RM80 is good for 400 watts where the RM80S is good for a KW.

8. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone ever killed one these? They just work like nothing. I haven't! I have two of them.
    AL and oxygen is a bad mix, you can never get it perfect. But a shiny gas tank or antenna just
    has to turn heads...

KA2RRK

9. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page