Clayton Howard, ex-HC1RT, W9KJZ, SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W0IS, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

According to a post on HCJB's Facebook page, Clayton Howard is a silent key. He passed away Thursday in Oklahoma at the age of 92.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/no...eer-clayton-howard-dies-at-92/196176637065986

For those who got their start in radio as SWL's, at some point you couldn't help listenting to HCJB's SWL program, "DX Partyline", which Clayton hosted for many years. His was one of the first amateur callsigns I ever heard, since he was introduced at the beginning of the program as HC1RT. In fact, I got the mistaken impression that, at that point, HCJB signed off the air, and the program was actually carried by HC1RT. It turns out that hams can't do that, but it's still one of the things that piqued my interest in ham radio.

According to the QRZ.com database, it looks like his U.S. callsign was W9KJZ.

HC1RT, W9KJZ, SK.

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Clayton was a Wheaton College (IL) graduate, where his father taught in the 1930s.
    A rare individual who loved radio and electronics -- as well as worked to improve the human condition.

3. N1NQC

N1NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey All,

I too remember Clayton and I really liked the show.FWIW, I am still able to copy HCJB on 6050 (Pifo(?) , Ecuador) with great Quechua music .I just thought about him the other day after many ,many years, BEFORE I saw this post re his going SK.

K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.