Classic old Yaesu FTDX 560

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KC4UMO, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well there were lots of FT401s etc over here . . . and very few Heathkits !

Well somebody who worked for RCA told me it was the last new valve they designed . . .

Roger G3YRO

2. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have looked for a 401 for years. I heard they could sound pretty decent on am. Always wanted to get one to try. One showed up in the shop about a year ago so I did get a little time with it. But the owner would not part with it. Then this 560 sort of fell in my lap and I am already in love with it. I mean it just feels like a radio. None of that plastic rubbish. Although I was surprised to see that bezel is plastic.

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a friend who has one of those ether a 401, 560, or 570 sitting in its original shipping boxes.
    Low hours radio still has the plastic on the front.
    If you are interested I'll ask him if he wants to sell it.

KC4UMO likes this.
  4. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Sue,
    I may have one, or 2 coming. The 401's that is. I will let you know. Said he was giving away the rigs, just pay shipping.....

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well you already have an FTDX-560 and that is what my friend's radio is.
    But imagine the coolness factor of having the original box after all these years. :)

KC4UMO likes this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Which is clearly not the case.

However....

what he may have meant was that it was the last kind of receiving tube RCA designed (meaning the basic electrode arrangement).

7. KI4YTV

KI4YTV Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KI4YTV

KI4YTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the 1 I use for my Ftdx 570's. tc1109 to tc1101 should be aligned as well as the tuning slugs. I get almost 400 watts output. Both rigs only did 200 before they were adjusted. Both rigs have had to have a couple semi conductors replaced in the power supply rectifier board. The 100 ohm resistors on the bottom of the finals will blow like a fuse if you have final problems. I use mine every day

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7360 was introduced in 1959, long before RCA shut down the tube plants. I used a pair as mixers in a 75A4 I did a lot of work on in 65 and still use it.
    The 1961 RCA Radiomarine SSB-5 transceiver may have been among the first commercial products to use it (a pair).

Carl