Classic old Yaesu FTDX 560

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KC4UMO, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Picked up an old FTDX 560 this week end. Looks like a nice radio to restore. Was even able to get it working with a little troubleshooting.

Has anyone ever seen a service manual in English for this rig? All I ever seen was in Japanese.
    Going to need a bit of cleaning but the rig looks nice. Will order some capacitors and replace all the old ones.

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Basically these rigs were part of the FT400 / FT401 / FT401B / FT747 series . . . all very similar rigs, just minor differences between them.

I used to work on them all when I worked for Yaesu back in the day !

But sorry, no idea where you would find an online Manual.

An FT401 manual would get you 90% there.

Roger G3YRO

KC4UMO likes this.
  3. KC4UMO

Thanks Rodger. Thought you may chime in here on this. I found the instruction manual and there is quite a bit of information and schematics in it. Just some missing stuff that makes you have to work for it a bit. I will down load the 4xx manuals and have a look at them as well. Thanks for sharing.

4. G3YRO

Even the FT401 models are all different . . . it's like every few months they changed something !

If I remember correctly, the 560 came out towards the end of the 401's run, but before the 401B.

As I've often mentioned, Yaesu used very good quality components during this era, (much better than Kenwood IMHO) so you shouldn't need to replace parts just for the sake of it (like Electrolytics)

Good luck !

Roger G3YRO

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EY likes this.
  6. G3YRO

Great that they used the 7360 . . . I think one of the very last Valves ever designed (by RCA)

The frequency line-up in these rigs is basically the same as the original FT101 series . . . so, for example, you could use an FV101 external VFO.

Roger G3YRO

KC4UMO likes this.
  7. KC4UMO

Good info guys. Rodger it seems the "Rubicon" caps are testing ok in this rig. However the main filters and those blue caps on the board are in question. So will replace those. I want this rig in top shape. I am also looking at a 401b. For free just pay shipping.

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The factory documentation is garbage on those radios, it is as bad as what came with a Tempo-One.

KC4UMO likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

??

The 7360 was designed in 1959 or 1960. I'm pretty sure RCA designed a lot of bottles after that date.

73 de Jim, N2EY

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Gollee, I was full of desire for a FTDX 560 when I was a poor teenager/new ham. Maybe some day I'll have one to play with :)

KC4UMO likes this.