ad: M2Ant-1

class e rigs

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N2DTS, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

In my initial post I thought there was something going on with the class E rigs because I was told the audio was limited in bandwidth but the actual signal on the air was much wider.
    I now suspect there is no limiting of the audio bandwidth going into some of the class E rigs and that is why they are so wide.
    And yes, I have seen some very bad plate modulated rigs as well.

The class E rigs DO have their own look on the panadaptor though, the audio is often dense out to 5kc and then its reduced but out another 5 Kc or there abouts, the built in filter?

I don't think the thread should be deleted, its more about good operating practice and consideration of other users on the band and no names or calls were mentioned.
    People who run over 100? watts carrier should think about investing in some sort of way to check what is going out, cheap sdr, the REA mod monitor, a scope, peak reading power meter, etc...

I want to build a good filter to cut or greatly reduce any audio over about 4.5 Khz from hitting the modulators.

AC0OB and KD2ACO like this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I wonder if they're the same people who run the daytime Texas No-Traffic net on 7290. That damned net must meet with a new session every couple of hours throughout the entire day. They used to think they owned the frequency and would start up regardless if there was a QSO in progress on the frequency. They had a run-in with Ashtabula Bill W8VYZ (SK) and reported him to the FCC. Bill responded to the complaint and gave his side of the story, and as it ended up, the FCC informed the No-Traffic net that they didn't own the frequency, and if someone else was using it when it was time for one of their net sessions, they had to QSY to a clear frequency. Ever since then, if there is an on-going AM QSO on 7290 at the numerous net times throughout the day, they start up on a near-by frequency, like 7285, and wait till 7290 is clear before moving to their regular frequency.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

GIGO. Garbage In Garbage Out. Class E transmitters are no different than any other class. They aren't some kind of Frankenstein that can't be controlled. If they are then they would banished from the air [just as spark was 90 years ago].

Those with overly wide signals are doing so either through negligence or deliberately. The few I'm aware of are doing so deliberately.

I listened to the main 3873 culprit's on air exposition last week about how his rig just can't be made to transmit less than +/- 10kc. It's bluster and crocodile tears. Then he proceeded to open up to +/- 20kc during prime time and stated he was doing so. Hostile neighbor stirring up trouble when there was not even any [SSB] trouble makers on the band. Interfering with at least 4 other QSO's in progress, including other AM'ers.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    AC0OB likes this.
  4. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

There has been a recent increase in ssb from down South starting up right on top of an AM qso and ignoring it.
    3875, 3880 and 3885.
    I find it kind of sad they have nothing better to do.
    It may be in response to wide AM though.
    With all the modern rigs having band scopes, lots of people can see how wide some signals are....
    Funny, the contest drove the jammers off tonight!

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't want to throw bricks or pick fights. I've learned a lot from the NorthEast gang, and can get along with any of them. Their strong signals with good sounds have motivated a lot of people to AM.

I wish someone could just shake them up and get through to them "You've made your point, play nice now!"

AC0OB likes this.
  6. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't blame the good guys (that is what you are doing). I've been on the air on 75 meters a LONG time - just short of 47 years. There is no "reaction" to anything on the part of interfering SSB'ers. It is QUITE the opposite.

This kind of interference and the associated accusations of "wide" AM stations pre-date class E rigs by DECADES. It is not the rigs or the operators provoking anyone. Ask some of the old folks (like me) who have been on a long time. Those who do not know the history or have not experienced this over many years need to refrain from passing any judgements whatsoever on anyone who is dealing with this as best they can.

Personally, I don't condone fighting interference by generating more interference. BUT, if an SSB interfering station opens up such that they are interfering with my QSO, I will politely inform them of the interference. If they refuse to move (which usually happens by the way), I am rather likely to stay put (depending on the circumstances) and carry on the QSO. Often, in anticipation of malicious interference, I will put the Flex into recording mode for evidence (most interference is amazingly predictable). I have been personally threatened (physically threatened) by SSB stations (from the South) who have attempted to interfere, but were unsuccessful in driving our QSO out. I can also tell you that another fellow was threatened, and the authorities ARRESTED the perp, took away his gun license, and the FCC relived the guy of his license for some period of time. Yes, this is real. There are other incidents as well.

The Texas "traffic" net is a CLASSIC example of organized, malicious interference. They claim they cannot hear us, but on numerous occasions, members of the AM group have CHECKED INTO THE NET, and have been acknowledged. We have informed them on many, many occasions that they are causing interference. I believe the net control operator has received at least one FCC letter, although I don't know any of the particulars, not being part of that particular situation. Prior to that, there was the so-call "Marconi" net - encroaching again, from the low side and oh by the way, the start of this pre-dates the evolution of the class E rigs. It went on for quite a while before they finally gave up and moved elsewhere.

Many other so-called "nets" and other SSB groups have also tried to move into the "window" from the lower side. Some from the upper side also.

Just for the record, I absolutely DESPISE any sort of malicious activity or interference. There is very little more wrong than getting pleasure from knowingly removing someone else's pleasure or hurting/annoying someone else just because you can. Hopefully I am not alone in this belief.

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The latest thing has been the use of "SSTV," in reality white noise, to cause QRM. I think most of this behavior comes from bored appliance operators looking for some excitement. Some people live for conflict and create it. The miserable neighbor who bitches about everything the guy next door does. The HOA spies in planned developments who do nothing but walk around looking for violations. The crank who shows up at every city council meeting. There are hams who just like to F with other hams and fight. You can hear them talking for hours about the AMers. They have nothing else going on. Imagine how boring it would be to have a plastic radio and 75 m. dipole and do nothing but yack on one frequency every day. No building, no troubleshooting, no restoration, no advancement. You can't fix stupid as Riley used to say.

WA9UDW, K4KYV, AC0OB and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.