CivTak(ATAK) USGOV android program for communication and situational awareness

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KC7RCY, Jul 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC7RCY

KC7RCY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone have any experience with CivTak, the civilian version of the military ATAK android phone software that is used by military and first responders to coordinate movement, mapping, communications etc? It apparently has APRS capability and can interface with a radio. You can also do some neat things like send images to team members, chat messages, etc.

See this Youtube video for a synopsis:
    (it seems aimed at the shooting crowd/tactical crowd but is also relevant to use by SAR, RACES, or even just coordinating large events like a field day or scout jamboree).

The video says the radio interface is limited to a Harris military radio that no one has, but apparently a new civilian version was released last week that may have functionality for Icom and other radios. Of course, we're hams, so it wouldn't surprise me if we can't hack it to talk to ham VHF xcvrs.

I played around with the previous version for awhile but there was next to no online info about it and I had a heck of a time loading maps and aerial photos into it. However, I was able to get aerial photos of my QTH loaded in by trial and error and that was cool. If I wasn't the only one in my family to have an android, I'd have tried to see if I could set it up for testing. Hint I just found out before I got busy with other things: there is a manual for the program in PDF but it's buried way down in an obscure setting in the program itself, instead of coming as a separate file.

Check it out if interested: https://www.civtak.org/2020/06/25/civtak-4-0-7-has-been-released/
    WHAT IS TAK?
    The Android Team Awareness Kit (ATAK), for civilian uses, or Android Tactical Assault Kit (also ATAK) for military uses - is a suite of software that provides geospatial information and allows user collaboration over geography.

ATAK was originally developed by the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) and is now maintained by a Joint Product Center.

KM4USC likes this.
  2. KE7CIU

KE7CIU Ham Member QRZ Page

The SDK (software development kit) has been released by .gov. Just write a plugin for your favorite radio platform. Easy peasy. ;):(

KC7RCY likes this.
  3. KM4USC

KM4USC Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting