Ciro Mazzoni Stealth Antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KX4QW, Dec 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks good---but I would think one could be made from plexi or polycarbonate from Home Depot and epoxy for less. Even thin plywood with a good weatherproofing should fill the bill---as long as it keeps water out.

2. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I took a closer look at the picture of the loop and I have some questions.

What is the amount of the gap between the interleaving plates of the capacitor? The rain should only be affecting the capacitor if the gap is small enough that water droplets will bridge the gap. Otherwise it shouldn't matter if the capacitor is wet.

Is that railing right behind the loop made of wood or is it metal? If it is metal you are much too close and can expect severe impacts to the tuning, specifically SWR readings. Move further away or get above the railing.

Why are you not using automatic tuning? Is it not working properly? If so, look at the second question above.

regards, Roy

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    NH7RO likes this.
  3. NH7RO

As humid air alone will increase the chances of air caps arcing I suspect that wet plates do affect the power handling and possibly diminish the tuning/performance of STLs that employ them (I've always used vacuum variables with mine except for one square loop I have way on the back burner for an indoor rx only project).

Since the OP reported everything as hunky-dory when the Stealth is dry I surely hope that a simple non-metallic cover will restore good performance for him soon.

Jeff

4. G1HYD

G1HYD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally the long awaited review (very thorough review) of the Ciro Stealth antenna.

5. G1HYD

G1HYD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

see my latest post !

6. NH7RO

Overly long video (9-minutes just for his basic introduction about his hoa/rfi situation that could have been easily accomplished in one paragraph) but worthwhile watching as we finally get to see the Ciro Mazzoni Stealth STL in action (including its nifty loop controller). Like the OP, (KX4QW) the reviewer (KD9DD) also noted problems with rainy weather as I would expect with any STL employing an air variable cap). Nothing a simple waterproof cover can't fix.

While he's looking for an all-plastic "deck storage box" to cover his hoa balcony installation I will offer a simple solution that he may have not thought of already: a large plastic cooler from Walmart. ($30 or so) The only other thing that it may need is a coating of beige paint to blend in to his surroundings---and those are entirely made of plastic with foam insulation. Just cut the bottom off (or remove the lid and turn upside down), spray paint and voila! Easy to slip over one's Stealth for a quick and easy rain cover.

For a sturdier and more tailored approached, a custom-fit wooden box could be glued or screwed together with non-ferrous screws). If he doesn't have the tools or can't make a box there in his town home he could employ a local carpenter or cabinet maker.

The reviewer also failed to run his at a full 100 watts CW or SSB from his Icom 7300 which I would expect as any antenna under review---as most hams that needs to use a Stealth or other type or brand of STL on phone will often need the maximum power available for best results when chasing dx---( we already know that for digital modes QRP "works" with practically anything for an antenna).

I hope the OP of this thread hasn't already sent his Stealth back for a refund and will try a rain cover as well as ground screen underneath also mentioned in the KD9DD review; that may prove to be a good solution without further hassles.

G1HYD; Thanks for the posting the review---if I was on the market for a commercially-made low-power* STL I would certainly pull the trigger on a Stealth---a beautifully engineered work of engineering genius!

*(the Stealth model handles 150 watts, IIRC while the Baby and Midi Loops handle around 800 watts).

Jeff

aka Lord Loop

7. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

"aka Lord Loop"

Jeff, I always thought you were Lord Loopy...

regards, Roy