Ciro Mazzoni Baby Loop - Which Direction?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KO4DPJ, Jun 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KO4DPJ

KO4DPJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good morning gents and ladies,

I have had the CM Baby Loop for about 3 weeks and I am really happy with it -- dipole was not an option. This is my first antenna. I am green as they come in the HAM world and had to work really hard to pass the tech and general exams...lol if that tells you something about my knowledge.

PROBLEM: I have searched and stared at tech manuals and diagrams of this antenna and 3 weeks later, I AM STILL NOT SURE WHICH WAY I AM POINTING IT! I need somebody to tell me like you would tell an idiot -- if you want to point North, you point either one of the sides North. OR, you point the white electric box looking thingy North etc. Can anybody tell me specifically so I am 100 percent on that? Just when I think I may have it figured out, something on the band will change and I will start seeing and hearing signals from directions that I didn't exactly expect etc.

Is it bi-directional? Meaning, if I am pointing North (once somebody tell me which way to point it), am I also pointing in the opposite direction - South?

I am sorry guys if I am asking a really stupid question but I have been trying to figure this out for a few weeks.

Thank you for all your help.
    73, KO4DPJ

2. G0VKT

G0VKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Bi-diectional. Think of a squashed figure of 8. There are deep nulls perpendicular to sides of the loop (looking through it).

Hope that helps.

Paul G0VKT

AJ5J likes this.
  3. KO4DPJ

Paul - roger - so if you look THROUGH the loop, doesn't matter through which side, that's where I should be pointing, that's where the strongest radiation would be? Also, looking through it, is the strength of the signal coming/going out the SAME in BOTH directions? -- such as N and S? I am really trying to nail this down. Your initial reply helped a lot. Now I am just fine tuning my complete understanding.

Marty KO4DPJ

4. G0VKT

Try drawing a figure eight. Vertically draw a line through the middle of the figure eight. The figure are the peaks and nulls. They are symmetrical. The line is the loop if you were looking from above.

Does that make sense?

Paul G0VKT

AJ5J likes this.
  5. G0VKT

You will see that it only needs to be rotated through 90 degrees to peak or null a signal.

AJ5J likes this.
  6. KO4DPJ

Paul -- your last comment about the 90 degree rotation explains everything then. Thank you for all your help!

7. G0VKT

You are welcome.

This might be useful:

http://www.hi-q-webs.com/LoopAntPres/Char.html

I hope it shows how the loop is good at reducing noise or strong signals that come from low angles. Less so for high angles. I use a broadband receive loop. The nulls are very deep and narrow. It amazes me how I can null out some very strong MW signals.

AJ5J and PU2OZT like this.
  8. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

NO---exactly the opposite---radiation is in the plane of the loop, not perpendicular to it. Yes, STLs are bi-directional so when you are pointed North you are also pointed South (correspondingly, the nulls will be to the East and West)

When pointed East and West the nulls will be to the North and South. Hopefully you have it all sorted now and do have fun with that Ciro Mazzoni---the only commercial STL that is head and shoulders above the competition, in my opinion.

Jeff

PU2OZT likes this.
  9. KO4DPJ

Gents -- i re-read your posts and the links and Jeff brought it all home. It all makes sense to me now. I love how technical you all can be. For an idiot like me, all you had to say is "it radiates from the sides" lol while looking through the loop, that where your TX dead spots are. But I learned a lot just trying to understand what you were saying. Thanks again for the help.

And YES Jeff, I have to say it's worth the money and weight in gold. This thing works fantastic. I am near powerlines (about 100 feet) and it seems far enough to not interfere with my signal. Running barefoot and I can get about as far as anybody with a dipole. Band conditions are everything it seems. When it is about to rain or storm, I literally just hear and see noise to about S5 and then maybe some signal that happens to be strong enough to push through it...so I dont even bring it out of the garage anymore in conditions like that :) Now that I am certain on the direction, I can do better though and I cannot thank you enough.

73, Marty KO4DPJ

AJ5J and PU2OZT like this.
  10. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

Great, Marty, just great! I almost didn't post that but after re-reading all your replies it occurred to me that you still didn't understand it correctly---glad you definitely got it now.

If I didn't enjoy DIYing my own loops so well I'd probably go for a Ciro Mazzoni Baby or Midi Loop; without a doubt the best small transmitting loops on the commercial market. We hams often spend thousands on rigs, amps and associated gear but often go scrimping on antennas---the most essential part of any ham radio station! The relatively high price for a CM loop is not out of line at all considering all the beautiful TIG welding, fit and finish and cost to produce.

I hope you enjoy a great deal of dx with your loop and have a blast!

Jeff

(The loopy guy in South Texas)