ad: Radclub22-1

Cincinnati Hamfest Saturday, August 28, 2021

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by AC8MA, Dec 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC8MA

AC8MA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cincinnati Hamfest℠
    Saturday, August 28, 2021

Please visit CincinnatiHamfest.org for more information.

M1WML, W8JDD, AD8DM and 3 others like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if this one will flame out from corona like so many are doing?

M1WML likes this.
  3. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Remaining optimistic
    Subject to County Heath department approval dependent on
    NC ND Posit ICU ratio

M1WML likes this.
  4. AD8DM

AD8DM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice website! I like the tickets online feature! Looking forward to a beautiful Hamfest at the fairgrounds!

M1WML and AC8MA like this.
  5. AD8DM

By August 28th the virus should be at bay.

M1WML likes this.
  6. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm too far south to attend but I pray it goes as planned. This is crucial to the industry to continue across the country.

M1WML, AC8MA and AD8DM like this.
  7. AB8KG

AB8KG Ham Member QRZ Page

Can’t wait! I’ve got some stuff to get sell or trade...

M1WML, AC8MA and AD8DM like this.
  8. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Since 1990? Then it's not the original Cincinnati Hamfest that was held for many years at Strickers Grove, in Mt. Healthy OH around mid-September. The flea market at that one was almost as good as Dayton's, and the date, in mid to late September was ideal, almost always beautiful weather, not too hot and humid and usually dry.

In 1972, the park was relocated to Ross, Ohio at the north edge of town. That place was even nicer, except that in the early pre-sunrise morning when many attendees were arriving, fog over nearby Great Miami River was so thick you could cut it with a knife, which limited visibility and made the route hard to navigate. From the outset, attendance was down at the new location and never fully recovered. After 2 or 3 years I quit coming, since it was no longer worth the 300 mile drive each way. Later on I was told that it had moved to another location but had dwindled to a small local event.

At the original venue it was known as the Cincinnati Stag Hamfest. I attended several times in the mid 60s and early 70s. Women weren't allowed in! One of the reasons I heard for this was to make an excuse for hams not to have their wives stringing along, but if I had been a YL ham, I would have been extremely pissed off if they wouldn't let me in. The "stag" feature was dropped sometime in the early 70s and females were finally allowed admission.

The price for admission was about $5 IIRC, which was expensive for a hamfest ticketat the time, but one of the perks included an unlimited supply of Hudepohl beer on tap, and food, at no extra cost. That was dropped about the time the venue was changed. Another one of the attractions was an afternoon display of radio-controlled model airplanes in action.

M1WML and N8JMV like this.
  9. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting story. To note, it's on the south side of Ross, just inside the Hamilton County border. I don't believe I've ever run into fog there, but I can see it happening. There's a homemade airstrip behind it now.

Would you happen to recall where on Compton Road it used to be? My former manager, now a SK, lived on Compton.

M1WML likes this.
  10. AD8DM

M1WML likes this.
  11. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

No, I'm not from the area. Just visited there several times on the way to the hamfest.

M1WML likes this.
  12. W8TEE

W8TEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure it will happen. Also, given all of the earlier cancellations, I expect a large attendance and probably more flea-market sellers. Great opportunity to find some bargains!

13. N8NVR

N8NVR Ham Member QRZ Page

looking forward to the ham fest

14. AD8DM

August 28th is the perfect date! Great weather and everyone will be vaccinated by then! Yea!
    I already bought my ticket online!

15. N8JMV

N8JMV Ham Member QRZ Page

I THINK THERE WAS A DRIVE-IN THEATER,, LOVED STRICKERS GROVE, I WAS TOO YOUNG FOR BEER BUT LOVED FREE DONUTS & LUNCH, IT WAS GREAT... GCARA TRIED A FEW OTHER PLACES BUT FINALLY GAVE UP.. THE MILFORD ARC HAMFEST STARTED 1990 (NOW AKA CIN HAMFEST) IS GOOD ONE TO GO TO... I WILL BE THERE 73 ROB B., N8JMV

M1WML and AD8DM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.