CIA declassifies Soviet-era amateur radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0UO, Nov 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So.....when do you think the COLD WAR ended? I think it's demise was greatly exaggerated. Just because a wall came down does not mean the COLD WAR ended. It only shifted gears.

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was in elementary school, I was a little confused. (Well, I guess I'm still a little confused, but about different things.) I didn't quite catch the distinction between "veterans" and "veterinarians." So when veterans day came around, I thought it was a day to honor army animal doctors. I assumed they were there to treat cavalry horses, but I did think it was strange that they had a day devoted just to them.

3. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I gotta say, I was surprised when the military completely dropped Morse code.
    With single-use code books, seems such a secure way to communicate. And little potential for viruses or hacks!

I guess that's another blessing from being in the Army. It's where I got my Morse code training.
    I gave up an enlistment bonus to get a guaranteed Europe. Lived in Germany from ~1988-1990. It was a great time to be there!
    Seems my battalion left in 1995.

The one thing I remember well when operating radios in the military... They weren't nearly as focused on safety as we are in this hobby.
    Until I got my ham ticket, I don't recall much of anything about RF burns or the likes in the months spent in classrooms.

Heck, we were taking down antennas by hand during lightning storms! :eek:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019