CIA declassifies Soviet-era amateur radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0UO, Nov 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Copy that.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, and the Army still has veterinarians who treat horses, but that doesn't mean the US Army uses horses in combat. CTR's are small portion of even the Crypto community, let alone the Navy. The Navy doesn't use morse code for it's radio communications and hasn't for nearly fifty (50) years.

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, if that's what he's trying to say, it's still wrong. It was not an "indicator" of anything other than the fact that Morse code was obsolete as a communications method with the Government and military (and no longer required by treaty), and therefore that maintaining the code as a requirement for an amateur license simply was unsupportable.

W4RAV and KA4DPO like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

*holds head and leaves circular argument*

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with you, Morse is an obsolete method of communication, and there is no need for it as a requirement for amateur radio. The only thing I can say about Morse is that it is still a valid form of communication that can be employed using the most simple radio circuits. So it is, if nothing else, a curiosity for experimentally minded amateurs who want to experiment with ultra simple, low power radio equipment.

With a simple switching arrangement, two transistors can be made into a useable communication system. A single transistor can be used as both an oscillator, and an oscillating detector, and one other transistor can be employed as an audio amplifier, and a transmit buffer. On Off Keying using Morse code makes this the most simple form of radio, since aside from an earphone, battery, and antenna, no other equipment is required.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  6. W4NNF

I work CW almost every day. I love it and have loved it since I was a teenager. And I don't think it's in danger of going away anytime soon given the activity in the recent CQWW CW contest. People still use it because they love it, not because it is required. And that is what is really impressive. :)

K0UO and KA4DPO like this.
  7. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Russia and Israel, both equipped with tactical nuclear weapons, still do do on a daily basis.

Why the emotional energy? I concede here, before all the world, your radio is bigger

than my radio.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. W4NNF

EXACTLY! ;)

9. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

"Army still has veterinarians who treat horses" Oddly enough, those vets are used fopr Military Working Dogs and to inspect commissary food".

Army veterinary technicians, designated as military occupational specialty (MOS) 68T, provide a wide range of services to our furry friends, from taking vital signs and giving medications to performing diagnostic tests and assisting with surgery under the supervision of a veterinarian.

https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/amedd-categories/veterinary-corps-jobs/veterinarian.html

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

W5BIB and K0UO like this.