Chuck Penson's new Heathkit book is out!! 3rd edition is pretty amazing

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Sep 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For those in this forum who might not visit the "Amateur Radio News" section, this will be of interest:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...ur-radio-products-is-out.780212/#post-5967483

Chuck Penson's new third edition of his Heathkit Amateur Radio Products book is out - and it's just beautiful!

I just got my copy - and I even got my own little tiny bit of published longevity with my small contributions attributed on page vii of the Introduction :)

Pictures and such at the link above.

And no, I have zero affiliation - he's not paying me to say this :)

Dave
    W7UUU

penson.jpg

book6.jpg

K7TRF, SWL37632, KI4ZNV and 4 others like this.
  2. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I ordered Penson's HeathKit book as well.

Some other books I would recommend for the vintage enthusiast are:

Grayson Evans, Hollow State Design, 2014.
    Fred Osterman, Receivers, Past and Present, 2014.
    Igor Popovitch, Vacuum Tube Testers, 2017.
    Eugene Rippen, Tube Type Transmitters, 1930 to 1980; 2nd Edition, 2011.
    Ludwell Sibley, Tube Lore II, 2019.

Pheel

3. KW4H

KW4H Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

IMO, the Osterman and Penson books are must-haves. Found out that Penson is local to me (Tucson) -- might have to do a local pickup!

W7UUU likes this.
  4. KW4H

FYI -- for anyone going to the Radio Society of Tucson hamfest this coming Saturday, Chuck Penson will be there with books available. I have no affiliation and am just passing this along.

5. N0JNM

N0JNM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just got my copy. Lovely job. Nice clear photo reproduction.

KW4H likes this.
  6. KW4H

But was yours autographed? :p I had the pleasure of meeting Chuck in-person at the recent hamfest here in Tucson. A real gentleman who probably has more knowledge about Heathkit than an entire Dayton Hamvention. The technical details in the book are staggering.

7. WD4DXQ

WD4DXQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just got mine on Friday. Thanks for the heads up. Great addition to the book collection.

KW4H and W7UUU like this.
  8. WB9TEN

WB9TEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got mine. Most fun I've had looking at a book since I was 12 and the Sears Christmas catalog showed up ( or maybe when I was a little older and the new Heathkit catalog dropped).

KW4H likes this.
  9. KW4H

It gave me flashbacks to 1974, when I was a novice and had a DX-60. And then 1983 when I ordered and built a HW-101. It also cheered me up this week while I've been recovering from minor surgery and needed a diversion. It's multi-purpose! :D I know we could never return to the days of Heathkit for many reasons, but Chuck's book is a serious dose of nostalgia.

Steve, KW4H

KE9EX likes this.
  10. ON6CN

ON6CN Ham Member QRZ Page

well, is it 56§ to ship to belgium .......... or 56§ all in