CHRISTMAS lights on antenna s

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD4AMG, Nov 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I have a friend that lives within a few thousand feet of the interstate. He made up a plywood star using double tube flourescent lamps to form the outline ! That sucker was about 10 feet tall ! He hung it on top of his tower and you could see if for miles along that interstate highway !

Real Purty, too ! [​IMG]

73 from Jim AG3Y

2. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] is it still together, or have the ATHIESTS and DEVIL WORSHIPPERS shot it with shotguns ? ...you know athiests dont like the CHRISTIAN part of CHRISTMAS ( they push the SANTA CLAUS part..hoo hoo hoo )..folks tend to forget that the first 6 letters are the real mesning of the holidays ( christ )....kd4amg

3. KD4AMG

[​IMG] you can get from wal-,art a ( nearly ) 30 foot string of WHITE lights for less than $2, and by replacing a WHITE bulb or two, make the whole string BLINK...but I like it being SOLID lights ( non - flashing )...need to hurry ( less than 20 days till Christmas ). [​IMG]

4. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kd4amg @ Nov. 12 2003,07:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[​IMG] With the holiday season rapidly approaching, some of you will want to decarate your antennas and towers with lights.  How does a string of lights effect the performance of a g5rv, or other wire antennas ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wow. He's serious......and you guys knock the cbers.

5. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't decorate an antenna, but I built a relay driver once that interfaced my memory keyer to a blinking light. I put the light in the window and flashed
    MERRY CHRISTMAS at about 10WPM. At other times I used it to flash my call sign for hams visiting the house for the first time.

If I ever build another one, I'll use a fake candlestick.

!!

6. KD4AMG

[​IMG] ...getting awful close to &quot; tower climbing season &quot; witha coooold NORTH wind, sleet or snow falling, icy conditions...PERFECT weather for a bit of antenna work on the old tower ! Hang a string of lights from the tower, light up the neighborhood !! All these folks with no tower can only wish they had one so they could put lights on it for the holidays...hurry up...only 11 or so days till CHRISTMAS !!! [​IMG]

7. N0OV

N0OV Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DocRF @ Nov. 11 2003,12:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One of the more famous, and more successful, stealth antennas was a string of Christmas lights.

The condo dweller had tried all manner of hidden antennas and the HOA kept cutting them down.  One year, he asked permission from the HOA to run a string of Christmas lights out to the trees outside his balcony and they approved.  After the holiday season, he asked if it was OK to leave the lights in place, as long as he did not illuminate them.  This request was based on the fear that if he climbed the trees again, he might disturb their beauty.  He got approval for this, also.

The low-voltage light strands have two separate green wires, sometimes three, depending on how they're wired.  Our hero had simply threaded yet another wire of the same green insulation color throughout the entire string.  He fed it as a loop.

I first saw the story in a packet publication known as the &quot;condo communicator&quot; some 25 years ago, and it showed up either in a club newsletter or QST since then.

Doc[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    HAAAAA

This is great!

8. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kd4amg @ Nov. 12 2003,07:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> How does a string of lights effect the performance of a g5rv, or other wire antennas ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Might put you off the air. Really? No, not really.

NOTE: Don't read this if you are humor-impaired.

Dark Lights at Radio Station

South Northwestville, Dakota.

Ralph Flurglemann only wanted to put holiday lights on his radio antenna. Little did he know he would answer to the Federal Justiciary  for it.  A federally licensed Amateur Radio operator, Flurglemann was yesterday enjoined to cease operating the lights on his station's antenna. A neighbor, offended by the ostensibly religious nature of holiday illumination, had convinced a Federal District Court to issue an injunction by claiming Flurglemann's radio license made the lights an impermissible State endorsement of the Christian religion.

Rabbi Flurglemann was not surprised. &quot;That guy's been a grouch ever since I put the antenna up,&quot; he said. &quot;He hasn't objected to anyone else's lighting, either.&quot;  Flurglemann expects the injunction to be dismissed before Hannukkah. The neighbor is &quot;unavailable for comment.&quot;

Disclaimer:
    The above is a work of fiction and no resemblance to any person living or dead is intended or implied.  

Cortland

9. KD4AMG

[​IMG] hmmm...mighty interesting !!! ...still not cold enuf in Alabama yet to be climbing towers.... kd4amg

10. KD4AMG

eze: yes I know now I did not word it right with the references to g5rv and such, but you learn from your mistakes. Boy do we ever learn...you should have seen my e-mails about 2 days later !! [​IMG] whew some were good and some were grouchy, but all is fine here,...ran one string of lights up my 42 foot tower and let them hang down the side of it, and that is all... thought of running a string out the &quot; guy wires &quot; but nah, wont do that this year ! [​IMG] ..mostly trying to make folks think of ideas for their systems, some folks have 100 foot towers all over the yard ( 3 or 4 towers at 100 foot each ) and could really light up the neighborhood if they wanted to . kd4amg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.