ad: wmr-1

CHRISTMAS lights on antenna s

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD4AMG, Nov 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] With the holiday season rapidly approaching, some of you will want to decarate your antennas and towers with lights. How does a string of lights effect the performance of a g5rv, or other wire antennas ?

2. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Well, of course they would affect performance !

Depending of course on whether you actually strung the lights out on the antenna wires, or just up the tower.

You would not think of curling an extension cord around your antenna wire , would you? So why would you not think that a string of lights would not be affected in the same manner ?

I used to have a slinky antenna in the attic, and every time I keyed up the transmitter, the lights in the bedroom would pulse and flicker in step with the CW. And there was probably 5 feet between the slinky and the closest house wiring !

You certainly DONT WANT to string Christmas lights out on your antenna elements !

73 from Jim AG3Y

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

As for running lights up a tower, there shouldn't be any problems. But, you definitely do not want to attach any Christmas lights to any antenna!

I have a Santa in his sleigh with 9 reindeer (inlcuding Rudolph with his red nose) that I run up one of the lower set of guys to my tower and they have no effect on my antennas. But, I certainly would not even think of putting lights actually on any of my antennas.

Glen, K9STH

4. w5zzq

w5zzq Ham Member QRZ Page

A tower is one thing and the antenna is another. Use common sense.........

[​IMG]

5. KD4AMG

[​IMG] doc RF amazed he did not arouse suspicion with the string of lights...since he probalbly already had requested permission to run a wire for his AMATEUR station...also amazed no one reported any T V I afterwards. But good luck to him & all others who wish to put up antennas in " restricted " areas. NO personally I aint going to run a string of lights up my 42 foot tower or any where else, I was just trying to THINK AHEAD in case some one else might think of this with the season approaching...that is all. [​IMG]

6. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

It would have been a rough ride if the lights had illuminated with RF as they are wont to do.

Heh heh heh

7. KD4AMG

[​IMG] yep...just imagine the lights UNPLUGGED from the ac outlet...flickering with the RF from the morse code keyer.. ( you no-code tecks cant have fun like this !!&#33[​IMG] ...strung out along side the g5rv a few inches away...nah has not effected the swr, lets see how fer we can talk now !!

8. KI4BOO

KI4BOO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive seen lights sold for the end of CB whip antennas that illuminate when RF is present on transmit, and even a few places online that describe how to build your own.

Maybe you could give that a try... Im not sure how much RF that eat up, though.

Imagine leaving them up all year. [​IMG]

We used to have a 60 foot CB tower, that we always put a big plywood star at the top with white christmas lights in it. Eventually it caught on, and everyone in town with a pushup pole was doing it... Lost its initial "Ooooh" credits after that, but we were the only ones up 60 feet. [​IMG]

9. KD4AMG

[​IMG] nah really just climbed up my 42 foot tower, and using a bun gee cord, hung the 28.9 feet of it down the side of the tower, kept it as fer away from the g5rv as possible, and plugged it ( the lights ) in the ac, can see them for quite a ways, better than I originally thought ! a decent surprise for less than $2 from wal-mart for a change. I can only imagine how it would look from a 200 foot tower, just let them hang from it, support it every 50 feet or so, but it would be mighty pretty and a decent conversation piece......in alabama we have several DEAD cell-phone towere that have been installed, but no antennas on them, nor a BOX at the base, just the RED light at the top, and some have STROBE lights at various intervals of the length of the tower...imagine how they would look with a single strand of white lights on them. it would be mighty pretty to see, whether they flashed, flickered or just were lit up in a solid line.

10. KD5VHF

KD5VHF Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a few flourescent bulbs, tape them to the antenna, go inside shack and transmit. Instant Red Neck Christmas! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.