ad: MyersEng-1

Choosing which repeater in unfamiliar area

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KX5ALC, Jun 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I know, but I do everything I can to keep the Gooberment out of my life.

The next time I go on a trip, I'll invest in another repeater book. Too busy buying other things to get my shack in order right now. "Nothing in amateur radio is cheap..........except operators!!!!!" :D:D:D:D:D:D

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is the best info on location tracking prevention I’ve seen, direct from the NSA.

https://media.defense.gov/2020/Aug/...CSI_LIMITING_LOCATION_DATA_EXPOSURE_FINAL.PDF

Lotsa luck to the average Schmoe. If you have the patience to turn your device radios on and off fifty times a day, and make sure you’re in an unimportant location each time, and take the other steps mentioned, maybe you could make it work.

Although enough information is stored that it could be used to do individual tracking, almost all of it is used for aggregated purposes, like making traffic maps, or showing when the local grocery store is busy, and so forth.

So the question in my mind is why would anyone be interested in tracking you in particular, and mapping everyplace you go? You’re just one of literally billions of people walking around with a cell phone. I can’t think of any reason the average person would be individually tracked for some individual purpose except rare events, such as if they suddenly went missing, or by search warrant for criminal activity, etc.

Now if you are a diamond courier, a powerball lotto winner, or a drug lord then it could be a different situation.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  3. KX5ALC

Yup, dat's me! :rolleyes:

N0TZU likes this.
  4. KO4KAN

KO4KAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am new to Ham Radio and travel full time in my 5th wheel. I use www.repeaterbook.com to look up repeaters and the site is updated everyday. I listen on my boafeng UV5R which is my only radio right now. Using Chirp I can import the local repeaters into my radio. Sorry to say I have never made a contact yet. If I was still in my stick and brick I would definitely join a club. Seems I am always too far away from a repeater, but i do enjoy listening and learning for now. I use a Raspberry pi 4 loaded with Hampi OS that has chirp already loaded. Repeaterbook also shows if the repeater is open or closed or for what I call emergency use only for the club.

KX5ALC likes this.
  5. KX5ALC

Know this thread is old, but I downloaded the repeater app on my phone and guess I am too tech illiterate to operate it. I type in the location and click on search and nothing happens!

6. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure if this will help, but try touching the Sort button, the one that looks like a little "ground" symbol that is on the upper right it and pick some options, then hit the GPS button to the left of Sort to have it search by your location.

Attached Files:

K0UO likes this.
  7. KX5ALC

I've done all of that.............except hitting a GPS button because I don't see one.

8. KX5ALC

I seem to have settled on a method for discerning "which" repeater to use in unfamiliar areas while on a road trip. I look on the map for the nearest large community and see if there's an Amateur Radio Club there......................look up the "Prez"..............tell him I'm coming through his area and am curious as to the most effective repeater for 2-Meter radio in the area. I not only get back a courteous (who would have thought otherwise from a fellow operator?) email with a frequency number and all the repeater's info but have made a new friend to talk with as I drive through the area. Program that info into my radio and I'm ready to roll. COOL BEANS!!! Dang you radidio guys are great!!!!!