Choosing which repeater in unfamiliar area

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KX5ALC, Jun 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AE4CH

AE4CH Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you downloaded the RepeaterBook app?

When you drive anywhere it locates you and gives you nearby repeaters organized by distance. You can program these frequencies and talk. Best learn how to program at your qth. Offset should be automatically set by your radio. Squelch tone frequency must be chosen and programmed.

G0CIQ, N0TZU, KO4ESA and 1 other person like this.
  2. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, but I make sure the only thing that can locate me is the GPS in my vehicle. Don't like being followed. Certainly don't allow it on my cell-phone. That's why I have VPN on all my devices. I downloaded the RepeaterBook but it wouldn't do anything unless I allow it to track my whereabouts, so I uninstalled it. As much as I hate doing it, I guess I'll have to learn how to set in new data on the fly. I just hate having to pull of the road and stop like that when I'm on a trip.

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. AE4CH

AE4CH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the app is simply operating within your phone. It needs permission to use the freely available phone information on the phone data bus. I don’t think it has any phone home capability. It just uses the phone info.

N0TZU, KO4ESA and KX5ALC like this.
  4. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What he probably was saying is that the PL tone is 100hz. The offset is as your software indicated - 600

KO4ESA, KX5ALC and N0TZU like this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Look for repeaters that are noted as “wide area” or “linked” . Those are usually the ones with the best coverage over a wide area, and /or linked to other repeaters outside the immediate vicinity. They typically have the highest usage. There are exceptions, of course.

The better coverage and linked repeaters are more likely to be operational and well maintained by an active club or group of clubs.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    KO4ESA and KX5ALC like this.
  7. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, KO4ESA. I have those lists but they don't tell me which repeaters are to best to use when traveling through the area.

Thanks............exactly the information I was looking for.

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

I won't speak for all areas with Amateur repeaters, but the RR pages for most of Arizona are out of date and likely lack 70 and 33 cm repeaters. I've spent a lot of time trying to capture, verify, and update aviation frequencies in the State [example - Yuma has a joint use USMC and civilian airport. Until several weeks ago, it wasn't even listed.]

Give me some time and I'll start on Amateur Radio repeaters.

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just get the repeater app for your phone and get on and make some calls. Or if you hear a repeater being used Wait utill they get done with their QSO and then call one of the stations/ at that point you'll be able to strike up a conversation about asking about active repeaters in the area.
    You'll find out pretty quick if that's a good repeater for you to use. HI

10. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

While I admire anyone trying to avoid being "followed" it's a lost cause. I too keep the location function turned off on my phone unless I need it for some reason; then I turn it back off.
    However, a local ham who is a cell site technician has told me that they can find a phone anywhere even if the phone is turned off. He said the only way they can not locate your phone is if you remove the battery or are not in an area with service.

Anyway, Reapeater Book works great and is very accurate in my experience.

KO4ESA, KX5ALC and N0TZU like this.