Choosing which repeater in unfamiliar area

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KX5ALC, Jun 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

More "newbie" questions!!!!!

As I prepare for a trip, I'd like to input the repeaters along the way into my radio. But as I go through the ARRL Repeater book.............and an online site I use to find repeaters state-by-state, I'm running into questions. How do I make a choice when there are multiple repeaters for the same general area? It's confusing. My 2007-2008 and 2012-2113 ARRL Repeater books don't show the same repeaters.............and the on-line site, https://www.levinecentral.com/repeaters/google_mapping.php?State=OK also doesn't have the same repeaters. Would it be best if I'd just toss the 2007-2008 book in the trash? How accurate is the on-line site I linked? I don't want to get out on the open road and find the repeater I have saved is non-existent. Advice?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What I have done very successfully in the past is search out the local clubs in each dominant area I'm going. I email them and ask their advice on which repeaters to plan for. Usually, they can point me to all the meaningful repeaters in the general area - not just their own club repeater(s) and let me know which ones are utterly dead, closed to "strangers", havens for lids and idiots to avoid, etc.

Dave
    W7UUU

KI7UHV, KO4ESA, AI7PM and 2 others like this.
  3. KX5ALC

That's exactly what I did with the Flagstaff, AZ repeaters on Mt. Eldon when I thought I was traveling that direction. But I had plenty of time for someone to respond. Not going to have that much time for this trip. But thanks, I think you're probably correct in that that's the best well to do it.

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. KX5ALC

Well..................I have to eat some crow here. I went ahead and sent an email and got an answer right back. They said it was W5DWH, 145.330 with a - offset of 100. I'm very new to amateur radio, so still don't completely understand all of this stuff. When I put that into my RTS program, as soon as I put in the minus sign it gave me an offset frequency of 600 kHz, or 144.730. So what is the 100 figure he gave me?

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, then that crow is quite tasty then I guess. :)

KO4ESA and KX5ALC like this.
  6. KX5ALC

..........................well, it is a LITTLE better with some TIGER SAUCE on it. :D

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

That'll be the tone frequency, used for better squelch control.

KO4ESA and KX5ALC like this.
  8. KX5ALC

Thank you, sir. Kind of thought that was the CTCSS column but wasn't sure.

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes ... toss out information that 13-years out-of-date.
    Spring for a new Repeater Book.
    ;)

That said -- all repeater guides are notoriously inaccurate.
    :(

KO4ESA and N3RYB like this.
  10. KX5ALC

Gotchya! In the trash it went. Thanks for your response.

I've written several clubs and have only gotten one response as to which repeater in their area is the better one to use.

KO4ESA likes this.