ad: AlphaRF-1

Choosing antenna tuner capacitor

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by 9A5DLZ, Feb 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, the T match is fairly universal in A.M. broadcasting...at least here. However, the tuning range is usually very limited, the priority being stability, not flexibility. :)

2. 9A5DLZ

9A5DLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, my e-mail is correct. Feel free to send it to me, or publish it here so everybody can see it.

3. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

You can say that again, I ended up with 31 relays :eek:

4. KL7AJ

The nice thing about teflon sheets is that the increase in dielectric constant lets you use smaller plates. :)

5. G4LNA

I will send it to you because this site won't accept xls file extensions.

6. G4LNA

That's right and the capacitor Q is much better than using Mica apparently.

7. 9A5DLZ

9A5DLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a problem, all those relays cost a lot less than a good variable capacitor and roller inductor (if you want to really make a good tuner).

8. KL7AJ

Which reminds me....who even sells mica sheets any more? I have some truly ancient ones...I mean TRULY ancient ones....must be near a century old. But I haven't seen them in any catalog for ages!

K8PG likes this.
  9. G4LNA

You can still get Mica sheet, I have found somewhere here in the UK that sells it, but Teflon or PTFE is much easier to work with and is cheaper than Mica.

10. G4LNA

This is the circuit of the matching unit that sits out in the garden under the open wire line, the controller is in the shack connected to the AMU by a 25 way cable.

Remote ATU.jpg

9A5DLZ likes this.