Choosing an LCD display

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KP4SX, Nov 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

OK - I'll ship out today. Should easily fit a USPS Small Priority Box

Do note: I am using the label to recreate it in MS Publisher for our club project - so even if you cannot remove and reapply your label, I'll have recreated ones down the road (not self-adhesive so you'd need Scotch 77 spray glue which is what I use for all my "fake Heathkit" panels)

Dave
    W7UUU

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Box just shipped out with OEM case, 2 sets of OEM clip cables, and 3 of the LCD displays. Should be there Monday/Tuesday

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The one shown in the photos appears to have a backlight -- see the white PCB with the two solder pads on the left side of the second photo? And the pads labeled A and likely K on the third photo.

4. W7UUU

What I have is what I have - from AADE and Mr. Hecht's estate.

Either it will work for Bill or it won't - but those are the displays that I have at my disposal

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the LCD itself has a backlight but the device isn't wired for it.
    And thanks Dave!

6. KP4SX

Arrived today. I'll piddle with it this evening.
    Thanks!

7. KP4SX

Hi again.
    The NOS display works as it should. Good contrast like before.
    There's a little Murphy wrench in the works, though. The bezel, actually the LCD component on the board itself, is thicker than the original by about 1-2 mm and that prevents the case from closing properly.
    I don't know how Neil dealt with this but tomorrow I'll take the Dremel to the mounting bosses molded in the case and trim them down a mm or two. That should do it.
    Dave, do you have the plastic buttons that press onto the pushbutton switches?

8. W7UUU

Hi Bill - did the box show up with the parts yet? Should have come this week.... fingers crossed

Dave
    W7UUU

9. KP4SX

A second box? No, but I haven't checked the mail today.

10. W7UUU

Oh, sorry - I missed that you got it. My bad eyes :)

I'll check with the guy at the club for the button covers...

Did the box fit OK? They used 2 or 3 variants over the years. Just like with the display board.

Dave
    W7UUU