Choosing an LCD display

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KP4SX, Nov 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its probably close enough to be the same. Here's what mine looks like. Its an original from FEMA but in my digging it seems pretty generic when compared to modern modules.
    I did tweak the pot mentioned by AB5CW. Its under the module so you can't trim and watch at the same time. That got me legible text but dim. Then I checked the battery voltage. Ooops! Time for a new one.
    Go ahead and send what you have, Dave. I like having options. Do you have any other NOS parts like the case?

lcd.jpg

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I think we did in fact get a decent supply of the L/C meter cases - I will check with the troops tomorrow and see... will report back.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KP4SX

Great.
    I did put a fresh battery in the device but really can't see the display without the backlight. Its readable but just barely. So Dave, I'm definitely interested in your NOS modules rather than having to hack into the ckt for backlight voltage.

4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

What? I couldn't see you...

Ed

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Bill - I confirmed with our club "kit guy" and he will have an AADE L/C case for me on Wednesday at our Board of Directors meeting - I'll send it off to you with a couple of NOS display boards from the original AADE L/C meter kit project. I'll toss in a set of cables as well - I have a bunch of those too.

Dave
    W7UUU

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

AADE was Neil Hecht.

7. W7UUU

Thank you

8. KP4SX

Thank you. I appreciate it. Let me know if there is any cost.

9. W7UUU

Hi Bill,

Just got the box tonight - see the photos below. Does this look right? Note the label is NOT included - we only have a few. I planned to duplicate the artwork and print labels - but only if we find the source code in all of Mr. Hecht's donation materials - so the overall project is on hold.

But for now - check this box and label and see if it matches up.

I'm 99% sure the displays will be compatible - he used 2 different versions, both "pin for pin" the same.

Dave
    W7UUU

LC3.jpg LC2.jpg LC1.jpg

10. KP4SX

FB Dave. It seems like I won't have any trouble peeling off my old label with a razor blade so no problem there.
    Thanks again.