Choosing a logging option

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by M7JDJ, Feb 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M7JDJ

M7JDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

I’m a long time Mac user but a new radio amateur. My understanding is that the 3 main logging options for Macs are Aether, RumLogNG and MacLoggerDX.

At the moment I’m using a Mac with OS 10.13.3 which I can’t update any further due to its age. RumLogNG requires 10.13 and Aether & MacLoggerDX only require 10.9, so currently I could run any of them.

As well as SSB I’m planning on using FT8 and other data modes and WSPR, and I’m currently using an Elecraft K2 which has been lent to me, but hoping to get a second hand Icom 7300 at some point for the long term, so just looking for any advice as to whether there might be any particular advantage to any of the 3 going programs.

Obviously I don’t know how the development of any of these apps will go in the future, but I have no immediate plans to upgrade my computer (getting into amateur radio is expensive enough as it is!) so I was wondering how easy it would be to switch between apps if necessary. Is there a standard xml or similar output that they use?

Thanks for the advice!
    James

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure that Aether is still in active development although there was an update about 16 months ago.

RUMlogNG and MacLoggerDX are both good and both offer free trials so you have nothing in trying them both! Both support WJST-X (WSPR, FT8, etc) and Fldigi (other digital modes) very well. Both have very active development ongoing and both developers are active on the air. Exchanging data between them is as simple as using the standard ADIF file format: export from one, import to the other, perhaps with a minor bit of cleanup needed between the two. The only "advantage" between these two is a matter of personal preference.

There is also SkookumLogger, but it is a contest logger first and a general logger way in second place, but it works too and is also under active development. JLog & KLog are two others that support Mac. Checkout MacHamRadio.com for information about them and others.

Welcome to ham radio on the Mac. The software may not be a numerous as on Windows, but the quality is superb!

3. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

James, M7JDJ:

The URL for fldigi, and the suite of programs in the fl line is: http://www.w1hkj.com. From W1HKJ web page: "General usage support for Linux, Unix, OS X : Join 'linuxham' at groups.io. "

There is a logging app in the fl suite.

Fl stands for fast & light, referring to the programming code execution being fast and light.

Since you are using an OS-limited Mac, you may have to use the ...i386 versions of the fl programs. The ...i386 version of the fl apps is what I use on my MacBook Pro (mid-2009) which is OS-limited to El Capitan.

Welcome to ham radio, and the "MacInnation" of computer interfacing with ham radios.

"MacInitized",
    Bernie, AF9US

K3DCW likes this.
  4. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using RumLogNG (and RumLog before it) for many years and extremely happy with it! It's a free software, without any adds. It works well with WSJT-X also, if you want to use FT-8 mode. I don't see any reason to switch to other logging software any time soon.

5. WV8A

WV8A Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using RUMLogNG for some years. Does everything I need, also has a separate Contest module, and can control some ICOM rigs. Like other loggers, RUMLog can directly send log entries to LoTW, eQSL, ClubLog and QRZ. As to interchange, all loggers natively save or can export .adi/.adif files, from which other formats, like Cabrillo, can be generated.

Chuck
    WV8A

6. M7JDJ

M7JDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve downloaded RUMLogNG to have a go, it looks decent, however currently operating 10W with a dipole in the loft, so not a lot of QSOs to log!

7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been toying with the idea of coding a logging program specifically for the iPad and iPhone, but want to do something different--are there any functions or features you'd like to see in an existing logging program that you don't see elsewhere?

8. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, there was an update just a few days ago. I've used it for years and I prefer it's flexibility and lower consumption of screen space.

K3DCW likes this.