CHIRP vs RT Systems

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N6WZQ, Feb 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's because all too many of these programs ARE useless and worse than nothing. Check out the artful examples that come with the Baofengs, to start. ;)

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

If they are useless, how have I successfully used them? Everyone has different skills, and just because you find something useless does not mean that everyone else will. You are certainly better at some other thing that I am.

3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're going to quote prices, at least get them correct. The RT Systems software and cable for the FT-8900 is $49 if you buy them together. Even purchasing them separately, the cost is still only $55. https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/FT-8900-programming-software-and-USB-cable-s/1906.htm

I've always thought CHIRP was misnamed. It should be called CHEAP because you get what you pay for. By programming a radio like the mentioned FT-8900 with CHIRP, you lose a lot of the functionality of the radio. All that functionality is included in the RT Systems product. The biggest thing to recommend RT Systems over any other software is that it works perfectly the first time right out of the box. I can't say that about any other software I've used.

W4NNF likes this.
  4. W4NNF

Your requirements may be different and less encompassing than mine are. I'd prefer, however, to pay for a program that allows me to access all the rig's features, etc. That does not mean you need to feel the same way. ;)

5. W4EAE

To me, a hammer is useless. That does not make all hammers useless to everyone.

My Baofeng is sold as 'Retevis.' It is possible that they are packaging different software that is Baofeng, but the radio will not do anything that cannot be programmed in the software.

I am curious as to what requirements you have that are so extensive?

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to differ here. I attempted to use the Yaesu "free" software. Does it work?...of course. Did I prefer it over RTS?...no. Yaesu documentation was sparse. And Yaesu customer service on software was non existent. They sort of let me know they were not really in the Software business. I don't blame them. Having problem with a Yaesu web site downloaded USB driver? Don't bother calling Yaesu...call Silicon Labs who provide the driver. Yaesu is not in the software business and only acts as the middle man. Reluctantly I might add.

7. W4NNF

CHRP, for example, doesn't necessarily allow your access to all your radio's features--particularly in the case of Yaesu. But, as I said, if all you want to do is program repeaters into your UV5R, you are golden. Enjoy. ;)

8. W4EAE

I am sure that I would prefer using RTS over Yaesu's software. But for $50, I will do a little of my own legwork.

I totally get it though. There are guys around here who think I am crazy for paying the local wire shop $7 to put the PL259 connectors on my coax. :)

WD0BCT likes this.
  9. W4EAE

For my Yaesu radios, I use the ADMS software from Yaesu. For my FTM-100 and FTM-400, I am unaware of anything that cannot be done in the ADMS software.

10. W4NNF

If you're happy with what you have, you're happy with it. I'll continue to use the RT Systems software, which I prefer, if you don't mind, however. ;)