CHIRP software malware?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W3RU, Jun 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W3RU

W3RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I called up chirpsoftware.com hoping to update my UV-3 the easy way, and promptly had a ransomeware message take control of my computer.

I then tried the same on a newer computer with Malwaebytes Premium installed, and it blocked it as a PUP.

Anyone else experiencing such issues? Did I have the correct website?

Jack W3RU

2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never gone to that site, but use this one instead:
    https://chirp.danplanet.com/

BTW, that's the same link in the software itself if you have it and are prompted to update.

Chris

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That Website has cooties. :eek:

It redirects all over the place. Did you go thru all 3 steps to make sure the ransomware was installed properly ? :oops::rolleyes:

Where did you get the link for that website ???

upload_2020-6-27_16-27-24.png

WB5THT likes this.
  4. W3RU

W3RU Ham Member QRZ Page

The link was in my bookmark bar - used it last year about a year ago. I bought a UV-8, and programmed it without any problem from that website.

Thanks for all your help with this!

Jack W3RU

5. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

To me Chirp is useless I have never figured out how to transfer frequencies from their repeater book to the TH9800. Maybe I picked up some sort of malware.

6. N3UPM

N3UPM Ham Member QRZ Page

The website is chirp.danplanet.com, that's your problem right there. Been using Chirp since it came out, never had any issues, importing CSV frequency lists and writing them to the radio is about as easy as it gets. Couple radios are still unsupported, but they add new ones all the time.

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not at all uncommon for websites to be hacked by scammers and thieves.

It may have been OK a year ago...

8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The link the OP posted was NEVER the real Chirp web site.
    I have been using Chirp for around 10 years and the web site has always been https://chirp.danplanet.com.

9. W3RU

W3RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the advice and help.

I checked the danplanet website, and it seems to work just fine. I was able to import from the repeater directories, develop my personalized list by cut/paste and save it for future download.

Now, if only I could memorize the menu item numbers on the UV's!

Jack W3RU

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That site was made to attack Windows 10 computers. o_O

Good thing that I only went there using Windows 7. :D