Chirp on Fedora 31

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KA7O, Apr 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Fedora is depreciating python2. Thankfully it's still included in Fedora 31, but the default is python3. So, when starting chirpw on Fedora 31, the software just asks for "python" which defaults to python3 and it fails.

To get around this, use your favorite text editor and edit the first line in chirpw. Change 'python' in the first line to python2 and save. It should now work.

See images for details.
    Screenshot from 2020-04-15 17-26-26.png

Screenshot from 2020-04-15 17-26-09.png

NOTE: Fedora 32, which is due out within the year, will not include python2 and well, yea.

KA9JLM likes this.
  2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah! Fedora 32 is scheduled to be released in less than two weeks! (28 April)

KA7O likes this.
  3. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both python2 and python3 on my Fedora 31 laptop. CHIRP works great on it, and I didn't have to edit chirpw. In fact, looking at chirpw on my laptop (20200227-1 version, installed from a Fedora repository), the first line of the file has the following:

chirp.jpg

I use CHIRP regularly, mostly with older Icom and Yaesu HTs, but also with a newer Yaesu HT (FT-4XR).

73!

5. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, that's the difference. I didn't install from repository - but from source (dailies). Looks like the Fedora crew has already made that edit. Cool!

6. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I may have already had python2 installed when I installed CHIRP a while back, and I haven't had any issues with it. Fedora package maintainers seem to put a new daily CHIRP RPM in their update repositories every few weeks.

73!