ad: elecraft

Chirp bricked my new FT-2980r

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD2IYI, Dec 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2IYI

KD2IYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? Would you care to describe 'what really happened'?

2. KD2IYI

There's nothing wrong with free software. I love it and for the past 30 years have made my living working in and around that ecosystem as a software developer. I also write checks to the Free Software Foundation and Mozilla Foundation every year.

But whether the software (or hardware) is free is beside the point; there is no excuse for poor engineering practices. In this case, I fault Yaesu for selling a device that has no real fail-safe recovery mode, and I fault Chirp for not providing a warning that the device was unsupported and/or that something like this could happen.

The point of my original post was to caution others that what happened to me could happen to them.

WD4IGX likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You were using Chirp on a radio model that it was not tested with. Well until you tested it.

Those radios may be close, I would be surprised if they use the same chipset.

Any setting change under the Advance Setting Tabs are radio model and firmware version specific.

The factory can Jtag it and fix it easy enough. Maybe you could too, If you have the tools to do recovery mode.

Good Luck.

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Having written control code for several Yaesu radios, I will tell you if you write to the wrong memory location or make an error sending a command, you can cause an issue. That is what it sounds like Chirp did in this case. It was mapped for the 2900, and the 2980 memory is arranged differently.

New / revised models are typically released because they add features or the old parts are marked as end-of-life. Microprocessors especially, can have a very short manufacturing lifespan, and the newer processors may have a totally different internal architecture, requiring different memory mapping. Anyone that has owned more than one Baofeng radio can tell you the odds of having more than 2 or 3 of the identical models with the same firmware is pretty slim.

KD2IYI, WD9EWK and KF5RRF like this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly Right.

New radios have a SOL CPU code.

6. K5PHW

K5PHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, but warranty probably will not cover this. Nothing was defective.

7. KD2IYI

Yaesu is fully aware of how the problem happened but they are honoring the warranty regardless.

KA9JLM and K5PHW like this.
  8. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I use CHIRP with a variety of radios with no problems. All of mine are listed as being supported. I check the list first. Since your radio wasn't listed as supported I would have to say it's your fault. If Yaesu fixes this under warranty then they have done you a huge favor.

9. AE5Z

AE5Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with you on both counts. Yaesu needs to fix their firmware so that a factory reset will recover it. The Chirp programming team would do well to check the model before flashing the memory.

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have read bad things from some here about Yaesu service but everyone I know who has experience with them has been treated very well. One guy hooked his FT-857 to a battery charger and blew god knows what. My bench-competent friend looked at it and gave up. Sent it to Yaesu - damage repaired, completely aligned and brought back to factory specs for about a hundred bucks. Pretty good deal I think (was not under warranty in any case.)

WD0BCT likes this.