Chirp bricked my new FT-2980r

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD2IYI, Dec 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD2IYI

KD2IYI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had the radio for about 2 weeks and finally got the programming cable. I then used Chirp to program some new memories. All seemingly went well. (I routinely use the software on my FT-60) Then I powered off the radio and plugged the microphone back in. Now the radio won't power on. I've tried the factory reset described in the manual to no avail.

When I got a Yaesu tech on the phone (kudos to them for short hold times), I described the problem to him and the first question he asked was, "Did you use Chirp to program the radio?" Apparently I'm not the first to have this problem.

Unfortunately, the radio is past the return window and I now have to return it to Yaesu for warranty service.

So beware: Chirp is great until it isn't.

2. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear that. Did you try disconnecting the power cable as well? Sometimes that works to reset it. I haven't had any issues with CHIRP but really prefer the RT Systems stuff. Not free like CHIRP but it works much better (IMO).

3. KD2IYI

Yes, I disconnected/reconnected the power cable but it had no effect. The Yaesu tech explicitly called out Chirp as problematic for some Yaesu radios. Whatever the cause, the factory reset won't clear the problem.

I can't wait to see how much it'll cost me to ship this brick in for warranty service.

4. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was heavily into photography, I learned the "you get what you pay for" lesson the hard, painful way. (I won't go into the details.) When I started in ham radio, I applied that lesson to my purchases and haven't had any issues such as described above. I used CHIRP on one radio, a Baofeng UV-5RE, that I don't care about. It worked fine, but if it were to brick the radio, I'd just throw it out...

5. KD2IYI

What irks me is that Chirp didn't even give a warning that such a problem was possible. I got the radio at a great Cyber Monday price ($124), but the savings I got has now been offset by the cost to ship the radio back to Yaesu ($20) plus the cable I bought ($10) which I can no longer use (excepting if I was the sort of idiot who doesn't learn from mistakes).

If the radio were much cheaper, I'd just sell it for parts on Ebay.

6. K4VLF

K4VLF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ouch.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not see the FT-2980r on the list of supported radios.

K1JFJ, W7UUU and AF4RK like this.
  8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Might be in one of the bleeding edge nightly builds. However, Chirp is kinda lagging of late -- one of the radios they claim to support on the latest build will not read -- even though cable and drivers work fine with the OEM software.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have tried Chirp a couple of times without success do great with RT Systems software in fact just yesterday downloaded the program for a new TYT UV8000E no problems.

10. KD2IYI

The FT-2900 is supported. The 2980r is the newest version of it.