Chinese Walkie Talkies

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N1NQC, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where would be the fun in that? I already built one of those and am trying something new :)

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You are incorrect, there is no part 97 type approval. There is no requirement for an amateur radio to be limited to transmit only in band.

We stay in band because that is what we are licensed for, and we know better but we can use any equipment we desire as long as the emissions are clean.

3. W3DO

W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

And why did Kenwood hold up the release on the TS 990?

Because they were awaiting FCC type approval before importation..

When you buy something that is manufactured - it has to be designed to stay in band and not operate out of band.

Read the Part 97 again!

There is a big difference between using something that was used in another service and converting it for use in the amateur service and buying something for use in the amateur service that was designed for something else.

If you read the part 97 deep enough - if your transceiver is set up for operation in the Amateur Bands, you are not allowed to have it opened up so it will also work in the LMRS / Public safety bands. Which means if you are a fireman, and even though your transceiver could work on both the 70 CM legally, it cannot be used on the 450 - 470 MHz fire / ambulance bands.

Most public service radios here also uses some type of digital identifier which is used to show county control which radio is transmitting. They give each fire cheif and assistant cheif a walkie talkie and the code is programmed into it. IN my county - those are the only two handheld radios which is permitted to operate on the bands.. A friend of mine figured out the codes and build a charger base and reprogrammed all the other handhelds to the two codes.

It allowed everyone to have a walkie talkie - but it causes problems if the county actually needs to know who is operating them. Common sense tells us - they should have given each fireman his / her own code, but that would have been like permitting everyone to use the radio's..

A smart solution would have been for the firemen to become amateur radio operators and use their amateur radio call signs on amateur simplex frequencies.
    As long as they had no pecunariary interests - there isn't anything illegal about one ham talking to another ham or using their radio's for emergency's - as long as they don't do it on a permenent basis.

4. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You wouldn't happen to have a specific section of Part 97 to point to, would you?

The string "certificat" appears 13 times in Part 97 -- in the contents, in the rules governing the administration of exams, and in the rules governing the certification of amplifiers.

A new amp sold in the US must be Part 97 certificated, and such a device cannot be certificated if it is capable of operating outside the amateur bands.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing in Part 97 about the certification of transceivers. If you are aware of something to the contrary, I'd appreciate a quote or a citation.

5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Some amateur equipment requires certification under Part 15.

6. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Go take a good look at all the old hybrid radio. My Kenwood TS-520 will go us to 7.6 Mhz and 14.6 Mhz. I sure the Yeasus and Heathkits with analog dials would do the same. Amateur radios capable of transmitting out of band have been manufactured and sold for a long time.

I've read Part 97 and it defines emission standards and types, power standards, manufactured amplifier certification, and authorized frequency bands.

There is nothing in there regarding certification or approval of transmitters or transceivers.

7. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerry, jerry, jerry....

The more you open your mouth the more you show your ignorance. It is perfectly legal to use any radio in the amateur as long as it meets spectral standards. I currently use part 90 Motorola equipment on vhf and uhf and it is perfectly legal. I use a Modified Motorola Maratrac lo band radio on Six meters. Yes it is modified and it is still legal for use in ham radio...OH MY..... It however is no longer type approved for lo band business use due to the mod. My VHF and UHF radios have no modifications so are also still type accepted for part 90. I can modify a CB to work on 10 meters and it would be legal on ham radio. My Kenwood HF radio will operate outside the amateur bands and it is legal. My HW-101 will also go outside band limits and one more time, still legal. I could build a radio to cover multiple bands and outside those bands and as long as it was a clean enough transmission it is legal. If hams were limited on type accepted gear they could not experiment and modify and that goes directly against the part of part 97 concerning experimentation. Where did you get your extra Jerry? I had to know more than you do to get my Novice.

8. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member QRZ Page

Just more proof you don't have a clue. Is it illegal to use a ham radio in the part 90 PS bands. yes that is the only place you are right. Is it illegal to use a part 90 radio in both ham and PS. No it is not provided that the part 90 radio has not been modified to do so. The digital Identifier is used by some some services but most in this area (unless They have gone to 700/800 mhz trunking) dont use it.

9. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We had a very good presentation last night from Dan Fish, the owner of Radio City in Mounds View, MN, comparing the Chinese and Japanese radios. Radio City has become a major importer of several different brands of Chinese-built radios, and has been actively involved in developing the specs for these rigs. Dan was director of quality for Ball Displays, and made many trips to Asia for his company, as electronic manufacturing moved to Japan, then Taiwan, then Korea, and now mainland China.

One of the reasons he carries some of the radios he does, in particular the TYT brand, is it's ability to be easily set up for both Part 90 and Part 97 operation, as there is a ready market for a low cost radio that will do both. He also carries Baofeng, Wouxun, and some others, and is working to bring some other brands into the U.S. market, as well. He also provides a warranty and service on these radios. They do not do 100% testing on every radio, but Dan has tested samples of each type for FCC rules compliance, particularly in regard to harmonics and spurious. They also still carry the Japanese HT's at Radio City, which in many cases are preferred by U.S. hams, and offer many more 'bells and whistles' than the Chinese rigs at this point.

Dan tells quite a story about quality at the Asian manufacturers. Each new set of manufacturers has gone through their own quality issues. The Chinese agree to build radios for a price that doesn't really earn them anything, then, they count on finding ways to make them cheaper over time, so that they eventually develop a decent margin on them. Usually, the shortcuts don't hurt anything, but sometimes, it does. In any case the issues are always of short duration.

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC the ARRL lab guy was testing HTs at Pacificon and they were going to publish the results in QST at a later date -- should be interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.