Chinese Walkie Talkies

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N1NQC, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK4KL

VK4KL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the Quansheng 2 meter 5 watt handheld. A little difficult to program. A good rx and cost $99 aus.

adrian

2. KF7VXA

KF7VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TYT 800 and a Boefeg and both are decent deals for the money, that said, my Yaesu FT-60 has far more fearures is 20 times easier to program and is built tough as nails.
    I got the Chicom radios for knock around and also the TYT for a low priced UHF only radio.

If I had to just have one, it would be the Yaesu, well worth the extra money. You get what you pay for.

John

3. W3DO

W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't own any Chinese walkie talkies, but my friends that does will tell you that they will operate on more then just the amateur radio bands - which makes them non part 97 type approved, which makes them illegal for use on the amateur radio bands - because it has to be either or and not both.

The front ends on those things are so wide, you can use the same walkie talkie anywhere from about 112 Mhz to about 170 MHz on VHF and 400 MHz to 480 Mhz right out of the box.

Eventually the day is going to come where some genius programs them for the police / fire bands and starts causing interference.

It will be real hard for the EMS and State Police to fox hunt the individual when all that is involved is about a 5 watt walkie talkie with no identifier...

Most people that I knew that bought one, bought one sight unseen - because of the price and not because of it's features.
    Once they bought it and found out that it was just a toy - they wanted to pawn them off on someone else and at least get their money back.

4. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Strange; I thought part of the experimental aspect of hobby was reflected in the lack of a requirement for any kind of certification on the amateur bands.

The Chinese HTs cannot be certificated for Part 95 (GMRS in particular) use because they are amateur-band capable, although there is the open question of whether the FCC's de facto tolerance of Part 90 rigs for GMRS use extends to the HTs.

5. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

A quarter wave vertical with radials would require a lot less fine tuning...

6. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one. I talked over 60 miles on it about 2 weeks ago with a good antenna, on 2 meter.

I've also talked over 10 miles on the stock rubber duck on UHF.

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got the MTC version of the UV-3R -- good, cheap radio, but has the display issue as Pat mentions. The alarm also transmits the siren, not good if you get one with the black case as it can be hard to tell if you are pushing the right or wrong button.

Friend of mine gave my wife a UV-5R for her birthday -- pretty solid little radio, apparently most of the programming cables available suffer from the counterfeit driver issue, and yes, they will transmit on *any* frequency within the range you preset, including the NOAA frequencies. Chirp will program the frequencies, but not some of the features. You definitely want to get one with the latest firmware, and you have to find the right version of the OEM programming software to go with it.

On both of these radios, some of the features don't make sense with respect to the way the big three do things.

8. K6PDT

K6PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Baofeng UV-5RE and a Wouxun KG-UV6D.

Baofeng is a decent radio, not as nice build quality as the Wouxun. The stock antenna is horrible (aren't they all). The Baofeng almost fits in my jeans pocket, I might get a stub antenna for it. Annoying thing is that mine has a slight delay on TX, I have to remember its there or the first 1/2 second of speaking is cut off. Funny I can always tell who is using a Baofeng on the local repeaters due this issue.

I use the Wouxun daily at home, and it really performs well connected to my 2M J-pole, and can hit repeaters +30 miles out with no problems. I take the Baofeng out and about around town, since it almost fits in my pocket and I won't be too sad if lose it somewhere.

The Baofeng has 2.5Khz tuning steps, the Wouxun does not (5Khz only), even from keypad. But the Wouxun can take 2.5 step channels from software.
    Battery life on both is pretty good. I've left my Wouxun on overnight and still had plenty of battery in the morning.

The programming between the two is very similar, they even have similar menu #s for the same functions. Once you figure it out, it's not too bad. Although lack of a tuning/selector/vfo knob on the Baofeng is a little annoying, I appreciate having it on the Wouxun.

$300+ radios these are NOT. I cannot complain too much about them for the price, although I think for the price of the Wouxun ($160 inc shipping), I may have been better served to buy a good used VX-6R or VX-7R for a few bucks more.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Bought a Baofeng UV5R for the fun of it... decent radio, for what it is. Crappy "rubber duck all band antenna" ...
    awkward programming (without the cable/software - also not without issues)... but for the price ($49) certainly
    a fun toy. Bought a better antenna - gives me a Db or two more on repeaters. But mostly, this HT is a HamFest
    rig at best. Won't replace my FT-2900R base rig for 2m.

But for less than FIFTY BUCKS??? Goodness! I date from the 70s in ham radio - a radio with this capability,
    at this price, in 1975 would have caused earthquakes in the ham circles!! You young folks out there should just
    keep in mind that back then, fifty bucks on 2 meters would get you an ANTENNA. Radio would have been extra!! LOL!!

WB7AWK

10. VK4KL

VK4KL Ham Member QRZ Page

About a year or so ago I bought a Quansheng TG-25AT which came with a spare battery hand mic charger and a programming cable off eBay, paid $90 aus. Quickly found that the cable was useless with this radio. Radio isn't too bad although the programming of frequencies is not easy.
    ended up buying a BaoFeng UV-5R off eBay yesterday for $55 aus, still waiting for delivery sometime between now and 20th November.

adrian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.