ad: AbAuRe-1

Chinese Walkie Talkies

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N1NQC, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For those that have done it, what antenna did you out on your UV1DP? I liked my 3P so much I picked a 1P up for my mom but she is much further away from any repeaters than I am. Until I can build and mount something external for her, would like to put a better antenna on the HT.

2. KK4BBG

KK4BBG Ham Member QRZ Page

jet stream makes a 21 inch long HT antennae with the reverse SMA connector 9 so no adapters are needed.

Also MFJ has a thin wire one as well. if she isnt going to walking around with it. get one of those "hershey kiss" antennaes and put it on her fridge or soemthing else wider than 19 inches.

3. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I couldn't sleep last night so I threw together a 1/2 wave vertical using some wire and a SO-239. Just need to do some fine tuning and it will be all set. :D

4. KK4JAG

KK4JAG Ham Member QRZ Page

Quansheng TG-UV2

I bought my Quansheng TG-UV2 at a hamfest in south Georgia and have really enjoyed it. I traded my Icom V82 because I was interested in dual band. Except for some problems with manually programing the new Quansheng it has been nothing but a pure joy to own and operate. The original "rubber duck" works well with the TG-UV2 but I did purchase a longer flexible antenna with a higher db rating; working even at medium power I have no trouble accessing repeaters over 20 miles away. I am quite pleased with this "Chineese" radio.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of my new Tech students has a Baofeng UV5R - it's certainly a nice looking radio! We listened on it, and I thought it sounded pretty good. I see that CHIRP supports it now, so maybe for next week's class, we can try programming it.

6. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

OY

Ahoy

have had a pair of Puxing HTs for over three years
    payed almost nothing for them
    got extra battery, car adaptor, hand mike
    work FB

and
    yes
    programing is a pain

yours truly
    mac

7. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Baofeng UV-5R, that is!

8. VU3BYD

VU3BYD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wouxun KG-UVD1P was my first Amateur Radio Transciever. I procured this from a vendor in eBay. As part of the deal
    1. I got a Radio Zone external Mic,
    2. a programming cable as well as a software C,
    3. Drop-in charger and a Li-On battery
    4. Cables to power the Drop-In Charger from an AC socket and DC socket (car cigarette lighter plug)
    I mention the accessories as well, because I have seen some vendors who only sell the radio (without the software CD or programming cable).
    My experience with this VHF/UHF dual bander has been quite good. The Chinese announcements when you changed menu options was a bit of an overkill, but I could switch it off. The software provided by Wouxun had some problems in initial installation (especially on selecting the COM Port settings). But The KGUV Commander came to my rescue.
    The Tx and Rx of this radio is quite good. Even with the small rubber ducky antenna provided, I did manage to pick up some signals which my ICOM base station was not able to pick up. The set is not too big or too small (like Baofeng), and can be easily clipped on to the belt. I have also seen that there is a good battery backup.
    For the INR 7500/- (approx) I paid, this walkie talkie has been doing a fantastic job.

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

The Baofeng UV-3R+ has a serious display issue. Just like the old TUBE days, you have to wait for it to "WARM UP" before you can use it. When turned on, the display will be all fuzzy and freaked out. Completely unreadable. But after being on a minute or so, it settles down and is usable. I have heard I ain't the only one with this problem. Send it back? Baofeng HTs are DISPOSABLE HTs!

I also found that the KNOB on the UV-5R is easily pulled loose and lost, as that is what happened to mine after it fell off at Pacificon. WHO KNOWS where it is. Somewhere in the Exhibit hall. I will put some LOCKTITE on it when a new one comes in from 409SHOP, which probably will be in a month or so.

10. AK4FU

AK4FU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both the Wouxun and the Baofeng UV-5 with the 3300MAH battery it will go for five days on that battery great radios you can spend more but you will not get a better radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.