ad: elecraft

Chinese HF X108 1-20w 9 band AM, SSb, CW QRP rig (X1M Pro big brother?)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6JWF, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KE7ZOE

KE7ZOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was comparing the "deluxe" edition, $695 + $20 s/h = $715. Difference is $170 (vs $885 w/free s/h). If you want the cheapest price an Alinco DX-SR8T is $519. If you want a backpacking rig then the 817 is the same weight but includes more HF bands, VHF/UHF and FM modes that the x108 doesn't have. Larger color screen usually means power hog, so that's not a good backpacking feature.

I just don't see what this radio offers that we don't already have from one of the major makers. This is of course assuming all the great reliability, warranty, technical support and customer service we have come to expect from Hong Kong direct mail electronic kits.

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

And that's the key. It'll have to be reviewed by a lab or impartial ham, if it's half the radio the KX3 is for less than half the price, they might be on to something. But if it's a dud, it won't sell. $500-600 is quite a bit of money for a radio with zero track record. I had a IC-703 that I bought new for under $500, but that was 8 years ago...

Steve
    KV6O

3. N4LNX

N4LNX Ham Member QRZ Page

I just ordered one of these from Ed. I'm pretty sure he's in central NC which should be one day shipping for me. I'll do a little review and post it.

KK5R likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually I prefer this. And I have a K2 already. Handles and noise blanker unneeded.

It offers cost savings, weight savings, and super ease of use. AND not OR.

Get it :)?

Chip W1YW

5. W3HII

W3HII Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll bet the reason it's a kit is so they avoid having to get FCC approval. 73, Woody W3HII

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A REAL kit requires copious amounts of soldering!!! unlike the ELECRAFT kit which is basically just bolting it together much like a computer assembly into the cabinet!

7. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not all Elecraft kits, Pat. The K3 and KX3 kits are indeed modular but others are not (like the K2 which still sells quite well for what I understand).

8. KG8Y

KG8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Neat, but it will still have to come down quite a bit in price before I would pull the trigger. For not a lot more, you can get a proven and well made radio.

9. KF7DS

KF7DS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ordered mine last week and should be fun to give it a whirl. Been looking for an Argonaut V 20w version, but they are VRY difficult to find. I like the potential to have 20w handy as some times, when condx are marginal, the extra power comes in handy. Also, this rig seems compact and light.

Don KF7DS

10. DL3KGS

DL3KGS Ham Member QRZ Page

comparing this rig with an FT-817
    There is a different of 6dB in TX-power between both, in favour to the X-108
    Cant compare apple with pear, little bit unfair

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.