Chinese Conterfeit Components

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WA1UIL, Aug 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad that that stuff is being recycled, although a lot must still go into landfill. But how is it generating "counterfeit" components? Just think of it as genuine components that have gone through aging cycles.

2. WA1UIL

WA1UIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I'm all for recycling too if its legitimate. The FETs I received were re- labeled to mimic the "original' FETs made by Mitsubishi. They sanded off the original white lettering and used a laser to re label the fake FET. I looked at mine under a microscope and took pics of them. The "snakes" know 99% of the customers won't pursue a return for a refund because of postage costs from USA to China. The last pic is the notch on the tab of the FET. They didn't even debur the notch after grinding it in. 73's Frank

Attached Files:

3. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So do buyers slam ebay fake sellers with feedback saying the parts are BAD or FAKE? I would think that would be the most obvious thing to look for, bad feedback with specifics. Unless the suckers are too lazy or dumb to put it on the seller for warning off other buyers. The other day I was looking for crimp on BNC conns on ebay. A few people claimed to have real AMP crimp on connectors for what I thought was way high prices, 95% were identical Chinese knockoff BNC conns that may or may not be any good, I was afraid to roll the dice. I guess I should be looking elsewhere than ebay.

4. WA1UIL

To be honest I did fall for the "lower than others" price when I bought the FETs and if the D & S pins wern't reversed,I probably would have never noticed they were fake. When I finally got the seller to give me a refund,Ebay removes any link for me to leave any feedback. Ebay has to know these sellers are peddling fakes but really its their bottom line they really care about.
    Only sad thing is there are U.S.A. sellers that buy in bulk from China and resell here in the States so you really don't know what your getting. With me its a lesson learned, 73 Frank

WB5THT likes this.
  5. WA1UIL

6. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had success with Aliexpress refunding for counterfeit goods. Photographic evidence was sufficient with no need to return.

AI6KX likes this.
  7. WE6C

WE6C Ham Member QRZ Page

This subject comes up often in the audio/stereo hobby also. Parts need to be purchased from reputable companies here in the USA. There's been cases where a TO-3 case transistor had been "hacked" with some little TO-92 equivalent transistor inside. Maybe you get burned on something like this but sometimes for example working on a high output audio amplifier, a bad transistor takes out other components which sometimes costs hours of work along with more $'s.
    Just not worth the risk.

8. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Lately I have been buying coax connectors and adaptors from a eBay store lm4871n. This guy (Taylor) is far and away the best of any of his peers. Super fast free shipping, excellent knowledgeable communication, and good prices. Near as I can tell, quality is the same as the "import" products from US sellers like RFC. No complaints yet. (I like RFC too but the shipping overseas usually is excessive.)

Steve in Okinawa

9. ZL2WHO

ZL2WHO Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KH6KK

KH6KK Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought from him like 3 times, Heliax DIN and pl259 stuff and each time all good and I agree the connectors and the seller are good. Will order from him again in the future.

Building my MCHF radio, needed the Mitsubishi RD16HHF1 FETs. I was told if the price is cheap, its usually too good to be true and are fakes, especially off of ebay. Didnt bother with that and got me a genuine pair from HobbyPCB.