ad: CARC-1

Chinese 3-500ZG out of stock?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N5WVR, Sep 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was browsing the RF Parts site, and surprised to discover that the only "3-500" tubes they currently offer are the 3-400Z Eimac NOS ($329) and the 8163 Amperex NOS ($329). What happened to the currently-manufactured Chinese 3-500ZG?

There is no direct link to it, but Google turns up the following link:

https://www.rfparts.com/tubes/tubes-3500/3-500zg-prc.html

...which says "$169 - Out of Stock". No information on why or when it might be back in stock.

Thetubestore.com lists the 3-500ZG as "Out of stock ($199)."

The DXEngineering site does list "Ameritron 3-500Z Replacement Power Tubes 380-0500GT, Replacement For Power Amplifier, 3-500ZG, Graphite." ($239). Estimated ship date 10/23/2018.

Anybody know what's going on here?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard it's "tariffs," at least according to RF Parts. Not sure about DXE, although they may get their tubes from exactly the same source.

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't heard anything myself, but perhaps a quick phone call to RF Parts might reveal something?

(800) 737-2787

I tried to call but they are already closed at 4:30 pacific time.

4. N5WVR

Tariffs would explain a rise in the price. They don't explain why the product would not be available at all, unless they are so steep as to put the price above the Eimac NOS alternative.

Notice that the Taylor 811A is still available at $32, though that is also a Chinese tube. That's a price increase, but no hint of out-of-stock.

AC0OB and AG5CK like this.
  5. WB2WIK

Could be a large inventory of 811As.

A pair of 3-500Zs can be replaced by a single 3CX1200 series tube but that won't be cheaper and requires mechanical modifications.

In a pinch, if someone really needs a 3-500Z, a 4-400A works in the same socket with all the same applied voltages, but has slightly reduced capability.

6. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

This happened with the 572b tubes a few years ago but I don't remember anyone blaming tariffs.

AC0OB and ND6M like this.
  7. N5WVR

Ultimately I will need two 3-500Z or equivalent tubes for a 6 meter amp I am building, but I'm going to sit tight for now and see what happens. I don't want to buy them anyway until I finish the conversion, hopefully this winter, but I am not happy to see that the supply has suddenly become unstable.

If DX Engineering continues to stock equivalents, that's great. Only time will tell.

8. WB2WIK

That was a completely different issue: All the 572Bs they were cranking out were terrible and failure rates were enormous.

They (the Chinese factory) improved their process and ultimately copied the Cetron design fairly well; they're a lot better now.

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Their tubes go in and out of stock, with availability from the factory. Don't panic.

*Give them a call and ask about it. They are normally quite helpful and will give you the scoop on what's going on.

10. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

This happened = Rf parts had none in stock and a waiting list. The 3-500z will be back.

I'm not surprised a company in California blamed something on Trump's tariffs. There's so much political bias these days it's hard to believe anything.

K2MR, KG5KOG, AC0OB and 2 others like this.