Check one off of the bucket list (Extra class license)

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W0RIO, Aug 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

After a month of hard studying, I took and passed my extra class license test on Aug. 2,
    the FCC email arrived today (Aug 16) so it's official.
    I did this just in time for the very bottom of the solar minimum and lousy HF propagation ;-)
    It's a perfect time for studying.

Here's a short description of my study process:

I read through an old 1990 version of the ARRL extra class license manual, That was very useful for
    explaining a lot of the theory, even if some of the study areas were a bit out of date such as
    the section on Amplitude-compandored SSB. I'd recommend a newer version of the manual.

I downloaded the official pool of test questions and went through that several times, especially
    noteing the parts that I needed to work on. That helped me to identify some of the trick questions and
    zero in on the areas that I was weak on.

I wrote up a list of notes on all of the areas that I needed to improve on, then re-organized my
    list into sections so that I could study everything in a section by section basis.
    I went through my notes many times.

I took the QRZ mock exam several times, I barely passed the mock test several times then studied
    more until I was able to get a high score. That was a great way to verify that I was ready
    for the real test.

Finally, I took the real test. I passed with 96%. The VEs wouldn't tell me which questions I got
    wrong, that's probably so other examinees would not hear any correct answers.
    It was an educational process, to say the least.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sincerest congratulations!!!

I remember having a great time studying for Extra, and it left me wanting more.

The world is wide open for you. Enjoy!!

3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And now you can exhale.
    After all that studying, all the preparation, all the anticipation, you now realize it wasn't as tough as you thought. In fact it seems too easy but it's worth it.
    Congratulations and enjoy.

Have fun
    Gary

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Congrats! :)

Dave
    W7UUU