ad: M2Ant-1

Cheap simple tiny DIY iambic paddle

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K2CAJ, Mar 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm pretty psyched at how easy this was. It's just a bit from an old wiper blade, a clothespin, and some foil tape:

No drilling, no screws, just making a bend with a pliers and soldering in three wires. You adjust sensitivity by layering the foil tape.

That being said, I haven't really finished it. I need to fix it to a base, attach paddles (maybe guitar picks) and probably add a piece of tape so the wiper blade says in place. Still, pretty cool for a few minutes of bumbling, and I could get it assembled with a K2CAJ level of skill and patience.

W4KYR and HB9FXW like this.
  2. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Clever. Trim the long ends flush with end of close pin ? Great source for spring steel. I find old street sweeper tines laying on the streets. They are great for projects requiring spring steel.

3. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ended up trimming the ends a bit longer and then epoxying on a couple guitar picks. It's screwed down to an extravagant marble base I got for $1.75 in a surplus store years ago---I never had any idea what I'd do with a 3" square of marble, and I'm not sure why I ever bought it, but getting into amateur radio has had me completely reevaluate my junk bin.

IMG_3522.JPG

AI6KX, W4KYR and KC3RN like this.
  4. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely done ! You can never have too much junk lying around. ;)

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer a large heavy key/ paddle/ bug to use on the air. I got a mini straight key kit and found the little thing very hard to use.

6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    Some wire and a few screws. I've seen variations for Cootie keys and so on. I get a kick out of these kids of homemade keys - the Ham sprit lives on.

Thanks for the photos and your time to post!

K2CAJ and US7IGN like this.
  7. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KA5GEX, K2CAJ and KL7KN like this.