Cheap Printer recommendation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7ZAL, Dec 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for all the input and I think I will look into a cheap B&W Laser printer when I go shopping next Thursday.

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the best way to determine which system makes more common sense is to look at the printers used by businesses. I've never, ever, seen an ink jet printer used in any of the offices I've worked in for the last 20 years. Remember dot matrix printers? They were actually used longer than ink jets as I recall. Laser took over quickly and are about all you see in business today.

3. N7ZAL

Years ago laser printers were a lot more expensive than ink jet, so I never bought one...but today is a different story. :)

4. N7ZAL

Thanks again for all the information and I ordered a cheapo Brother Laser printer from Amazon today. It seemed to meet all my modest needs and I like the idea I can cheaply print large books. :)

When I had the HP Inkjet I couldn't afford to print a thousand pages and had to have them printed locally. Not cheap either, but cheaper than ink. With the laser I can afford to print a few thousand pages, which is a great idea. Yeah, I write a lot. :) I don't need color.

So thanks to all that expressed their opinions!

WD0BCT and NL7W like this.
  5. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WD0BCT and NL7W like this.
  6. N7ZAL

7. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Picked up a Brother HL-2280DW about 3 years ago. It was a great decision. A solid b/w multifunction, wireless laser printer with good software.

Still have a 20-year old HP Laser that won't die, too. It's been worth every cent.

8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Compatible parallel printer cards (PCIE) are getting harder to find though. :(

9. K2XT

K2XT Subscriber QRZ Page

Brother here, maybe 5-6 years old, troublefree.
    A couple times a week I turn it on, print out my shopping list or a QST article that I want to read in the hot tub and put it back to sleep. Toner and ......... what's the other thing called.......? The other thing. I replaced the toner cartridge and the other thing with ebay purchased items one time, no problem.
    One thing to watch out for - in Excel, the printer icon is next to the save icon. If you hit print and have a huge spreadsheet it will print for the next three reams of paper. I have never figured out how to clear it. So, I'm careful now!

10. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an HP2100 that won't die as well. 15 years old at this point I am thinking?
    I have an HP2100 connected to the network via an equally old HP, 3 port print server. It's so old that it has a 10Base2 Thinnet coax port in addition to the 10MB RJ45. :D

Steve
    KV6O

NL7W likes this.