ad: ProAudio-1

Cheap Printer recommendation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7ZAL, Dec 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't even have a LASER printer here at home, but at work we have dozens of them, but they're big commercial ones and get so much use nothing would ever settle.

However, I note those all have a method of stirring the toner built into them and do it automatically every so-many copies. You have to wait until it's finished before you can print, but it only takes a minute.

2. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No need to feed envelopes.

If I have a lot of printing I will use a thumb drive and go to the local printer...especially for my books.

Not familiar with Laser printers so good to see encouragement there.

3. N7ZAL

I should add that size and weight are a concern.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I opted for an HP Laser printer years ago. Lots of hype out on the net which is the cheapest way to go. I've found the Laser to be much cheaper than buying an endless stream of ink jet cartridges. Even if you fill the ink jet cartridges yourself they are prone to drying out and require refreshing the print head.
    My Laser is 10 years old and still working on its second toner cartridge totally trouble free. I do have an ink jet for color and WiFi printing ease for my wife. It is quite costly compared to my Laser. When the ink jet dies it will be replaced by a color laser printer w/WiFi network capability.

5. N7ZAL

The printer I have that just died was a cheap HP from over 10 years ago and the ink was very expensive. I'm thinking laser might be the best way based on the info posted.

6. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Brother B&W lasers. The cheapest ones can be had for around 50$, cheaper if you buy a refurbished one. Never had a problem with them and the toner is cheap. Kicked ink jet to the curb about 10 years ago due to the rising expense of cartridges. I might get 150 pages out of a black ink jet, but I get many times that out of a black toner on my Brother.

Pirates like HP charge almost as much for a large black cartridge as I pay for a toner, and ink jet manufacturers have put chips in so you can't refill them.

Cheap B&W laser is they way to go.

NL7W and K7JEM like this.
  7. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought a black and white HP LaserJet Pro M102w. Not the cheapest but it works well and will make tons of copies before your have to replace toner. The cheapness of the cheap ones is built into the supplies which need to be replaced often. I think I paid around 120 and think it runs 700 copies before toner is needed.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been refilling carts for about 120 years. A bit messy but worth it.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Another vote for Brother laser. The cartridges are cheap on e-bay, and print a couple of thousand copies.

One thing I really like about laser is that the ink doesn't run if it gets a drop of water on it, and the prints seem to be somewhat higher quality than ink jet. The printers are somewhat larger, and more expensive, but in the long run they are much cheaper to operate.

NL7W likes this.
  10. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

If a rich uncle dies and leaves me something, I want barrels of inkjet ink, not gold! The ink is worth far more than gold!

Glen, K9STH

NL7W likes this.